The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is inflation during the BB?  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Ron Hughes

• View Profile
What is inflation during the BB?
« on: 25/04/2011 14:53:46 »
At 10-50seconds after the BB wouldn't time being running very very slow and if so the Universe would appear to be in a period of inflation?

Offline MikeS

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Devils Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25/04/2011 16:27:46 »
"At 10-50seconds after the BB wouldn't time being running very very slow and if so the Universe would appear to be in a period of inflation?"

This is my take on the question.

Iím not a mathematician but if it returns a negative number then youíre talking about minus time which is meaningless.  You can, of course have minus a particular time, as in a countdown.  The Big Bang stipulates that time began with the big bang and asking what happened before the big bang is meaningless.

There are two components to time.  It has to have an arrow and it has to have a rate of flow.

I think maybe you are asking:-
If the rate of flow of time is very slow would the universe appear to be in a period of inflation?
I think I understand what you mean.  A relative difference in speed?

The answer to your question is no.

The speed of light is a constant.  Speed has two components, distance and time.  The rate of flow of time is variable.  Therefore the speed of light is a constant because the rate of flow of time is a variable.

So long as time is actually flowing (in either direction) then the speed of light is constant.

Changing the rate of flow of time leaves the speed of light and all of the other constants of nature unchanged. This is a universal truth.

What does this mean?  To an observer outside the universe the life of the universe could be a heartbeat or almost eternity.  To the occupants of the universe, a day is a day is a day etc.  It's all relative.

I believe the above to be true and I know that some of you will disagree with me.  If you can prove any of the above to not be true I would love to hear from you.

Mike

Offline MikeS

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Devils Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/04/2011 16:37:19 »
What I forgot to add is that at the time of the big bang time in a sense had not quite been born.  Inflation took place outside of time and without time there can be no causality, thereby tidying up all the loose ends.

Mike

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/04/2011 04:04:21 »
That's under the Planck time, so we don't have a theory that actually covers what was happening then.  It's likely that our concept of space-time needs to be adjusted at such a scale, so our concept of time might not be precisely the same as it is in  general relativity, which is what tells us about how the universe has changed in time.

See, for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_epoch

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 26/04/2011 04:04:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums