The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where is the best place to take refuge during a tornado?  (Read 6479 times)

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
would an old cast iron bathtub do the trick= i go outside & crawl in & under the tub as the tornado approaches........200mph wind, tub is kinda rounded/curved. house is assumed to be eventually trashed due to inferior construction

[MOD EDIT - PLEASE PHRASE YOUR THREAD TITLES AS QUESTIONS. THANKS. CHRIS.]
« Last Edit: 26/04/2011 22:59:35 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the best place to take refuge during a tornado?
« Reply #1 on: 26/04/2011 19:51:53 »
In another STATE   ::)

I often wondered about that as I would be riding my bicycle in Missouri listening to the storm sirens going off and having no place to go.  Some people have suggested lying flat on the ground in the middle of an open pasture.  But...  that isn't always a possibility.  Perhaps also inside of a large culvert, provided there isn't excess water, and there is adequate ingress/egress. 

While at a construction site, I wondered about crawling under heavy construction equipment.  It would take a lot of wind to move a 40 ton dozer.

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
Re: Where is the best place to take refuge during a tornado?
« Reply #2 on: 26/04/2011 20:18:23 »
In another STATE   ::)

I often wondered about that as I would be riding my bicycle in Missouri listening to the storm sirens going off and having no place to go.  Some people have suggested lying flat on the ground in the middle of an open pasture.  But...  that isn't always a possibility.  Perhaps also inside of a large culvert, provided there isn't excess water, and there is adequate ingress/egress. 

While at a construction site, I wondered about crawling under heavy construction equipment.  It would take a lot of wind to move a 40 ton dozer.
even under the dozer, the wind would still blow some...crazy weather seemingly

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Where is the best place to take refuge during a tornado?
« Reply #3 on: 27/04/2011 09:51:53 »
Hiding under the dining table really did improve your chances during the blitz.  If you suffered a direct hit all but the very best shelters would do no good -  but it was worth improving your chances even a little bit for those other occasions.  Soon many people had reinforced the dining table with extra planks and brick ends   

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
« Reply #4 on: 28/04/2011 07:45:32 »
Such a bathtub may help in deflecting debris that comes from the sides, but what goes up must come down; imagine if the tornado dropped something heavy into the tub as it left?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/04/2011 12:48:52 »
Such a bathtub may help in deflecting debris that comes from the sides, but what goes up must come down; imagine if the tornado dropped something heavy into the tub as it left?
Then you will be alive when people turn up to look for  buried/ trapped survivors; which is better than you would be without the tub.

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
« Reply #6 on: 28/04/2011 21:39:13 »
Then you will be alive when people turn up to look for  buried/ trapped survivors; which is better than you would be without the tub.
No no, I meant something falling into the tub, not on top of it. Something that would be small enough to fit in it but would also be a little heavier than you would want on top of you...like a car engine.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29/04/2011 10:39:52 »
No no, I meant something falling into the tub, not on top of it. Something that would be small enough to fit in it but would also be a little heavier than you would want on top of you...like a car engine.

Yeah - but can you think of a situation (including ones with airborne engine blocks) in which, on average, it is better to be unprotected on all side and above, rather than protected on all sides but not above.  things falling straight down are very unlikely - they are more likely to have a horizontal component, at which point the bath starts to help.

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29/04/2011 13:03:58 »
4get the house & call it a house trailer on blocks which is about to get tornadoed. Would I be better off to go outside & crawl under a iron tub or stay in the trailer?
« Last Edit: 29/04/2011 13:10:13 by CZARCAR »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29/04/2011 18:33:39 »
The OP says "i go outside & crawl in & under the tub".
I presume that means the tub is upside down.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29/04/2011 21:05:53 »
The bathtub may provide some protection, even from things falling from above.  I guess it depends on what kind of lethal debris you might be struck by.  Sheetrock and Plaster might fall into the bathtub, but may not be lethal.  A beam might fall onto the bathtub, rather then into the bathtub, so the bathtub may provide some protection.  

If a house crumbled around a bathtub, then one may become trapped in the tub with little potential for egress without assistance.

Keep in mind that there are 3 common types of bathtubs.
Cast Iron.  Seems solid, but crumbles with impact.  I.E. One method of removing them is with a sledge hammer.  The density may help keep it from being moved.
Steel.  More malleable.  Would retain form from impact, but could be bent, especially under heavy load.
Fiberglass.  Lots of flexibility, and quite strong, but perhaps would shatter with very heavy impacts.

Anyway, there are reports of people surviving in bathtubs, and in some photos, the bathtub is the most recognizable structure remaining from a house, although sometimes not in its original location.

As far as crawling under a steel or fiberglass tub upside-down, it probably wouldn't do much.  I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable tipping a cast iron tub over on top of myself.  Inside the house, the drain would be a problem.  Outside the house, it might work.  You may not be able to get the leverage to get it off from yourself.  So, it may necessitate rescue, and if the tornado skips over your house, the rescue may never come.

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30/04/2011 11:41:59 »
simpler= Can a tornado move or pick up a heavy cast iron tub that is somewhat rounded & laying upside down on the ground? The tub would have  somewhat of an inverted bowl shape that would be impacted by the wind.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 30/04/2011 11:41:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums