The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where have my topics gone?  (Read 3574 times)

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Where have my topics gone?
« on: 27/03/2006 12:08:54 »
We have just created a new section called 'New Theories' for all your exciting new theories about how the world works. I have moved lots of topics into there so if you are missing a topic check there first.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: Where have my topics gone?
« Reply #1 on: 27/03/2006 14:44:17 »
Good idea Dave that allows space for the wild ideas but stops them from diluting the input grom conventional inquirers

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/03/2006 12:57:49 »
It is an excellent idea.

[Are you waiting for the other shoe to drop?]

One possible modification: change the title to something like 'New Conjectures'; 'Novel Speculations'; 'Fresh Perspectives'; but at all costs remove the word theory from the title.

Why? A theory is as good as it gets in science. A theory is the result of thorough research, investigation, validation and confirmation, by multiple workers.
If we weaken the power of that word, on a site dedicted to science, we promote, for example, the cause of Creationist's who say of evolution "but it's only a theory".

{Of course I am presuming that most of the 'theories' posted to the site will be nothing more than conjecture - but then would anyone with a bona fide theory choose to unveil it on science forum? I think not. }

So, I appeal to you to make the change, for the sake of science.

Observe; collate; conjecture; analyse; hypothesise; test; validate; theorise. Repeat until complete.

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/03/2006 17:43:04 »
Any theories on how new theories begin in the first place and how the attract clusters of scepticism and ridicule?

Ps I hope this is the right place for this!  

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31/03/2006 19:19:31 »
First of all skepticism is an important part of the scientific process, everyone is trying to knock down everything all the time, that is how our understanding of the world improves.

I have done a little research and 99% of the time that you think you have found something new and interesting it is actually because you have plugged the cables in the wrong way round. So you have to be skeptical of your own results/ideas to start with, and it is right that everyone else is skeptical of your's.

Ridicule is rude although understandable when a proponent of a new theory does not appear to accept reasonable criticism, especially if they come up with a theory that violates the second law of thermodynamics, which although not set in stone, has been tested, very very very very well!

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31/03/2006 20:46:52 »
So sorry but I was have a little fun with words. I can help myself sometimes. Please be sceptical and ridicule me as much as you like I donít get enough of it at home!:D[}:)]:D

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31/03/2006 21:49:47 »
:p

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 31/03/2006 21:49:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines