The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could the Universe be an organisim?  (Read 10509 times)

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Could the Universe be an organisim?
« Reply #25 on: 25/01/2013 17:04:13 »
I would like to raise this topic from the grave as quite recently in the news there seems to be a lot of people who think that this might actually be true.

Apparently the Universe is behaving like a giant quantum computer.

Offline Minerva

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01/02/2013 14:43:44 »
I do like the Gaia hypothesis and if nothing else it provides a framework with which to look at environmental issues.  I think it is becoming glaringly obvious that all organisms influence all other organisms at some level or another in some respect and that all organisms play a part....I'm thinking specifically of the current dawning realisation that we shouldnt be killing all bacteria dead.......
So yes I find it very appealing to think of the Universe as an organism and intuitively satisfying. 

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02/02/2013 17:52:40 »
I would like to raise this topic from the grave as quite recently in the news there seems to be a lot of people who think that this might actually be true.

Absolutely, and consider this; Humanity, a product of the universe is evidence for this consciousness. And the likelihood that we are not the only conscious being inhabiting the universe just increases this prospect. The universe is the vessel which contains the conscious awareness present within us all. Quantum entanglement proves the connection between our consciousness  and the cosmos. Because we are connected consciously to it, we are aware of it and it is aware of us.
« Last Edit: 02/02/2013 18:00:04 by Ethos_ »

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05/02/2013 05:10:38 »

Absolutely, and consider this; Humanity, a product of the universe is evidence for this consciousness. And the likelihood that we are not the only conscious being inhabiting the universe just increases this prospect. The universe is the vessel which contains the conscious awareness present within us all. Quantum entanglement proves the connection between our consciousness  and the cosmos. Because we are connected consciously to it, we are aware of it and it is aware of us.

I think we run into trouble when we treat "consciousness" as its own entity, and not the product of a range of complex chemical reactions between various complex collections of atoms that have arranged themselves together through a long process of reproduction and mutation that we call "evolution".

There is no reason that the universe couldn't be an "organism" but it would depend on how you define "organism".

I personally don't believe that it is the case. There is no evolutionary drive if there is no competition, nothing to consume, nothing required to maintain itself. Unless through chance the incredibly large (yet incredibly sparse) amounts of matter have managed to arrange themselves in a way that can be thought of as living, I can't see how it can happen.

Now if our universe is just part of a greater multiverse (I hate that word!) then yes, it is possible that the collection of matter we define as "universe" could, in fact, be an organism. But then there's the issue of defining universe as "everything there is", and if you start to talk about it in multiples you just end up with turtles all the way down.

Offline Pincho

• Genius is an insult to my intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02/03/2013 14:18:25 »
I think it could be. I mean you emphasise on the word 'COULD'.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #29 on: 02/03/2013 14:18:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums