The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I discharge static electricity buildup?  (Read 13150 times)

Victoria

How can I discharge static electricity buildup?
« on: 08/05/2011 20:30:05 »
Victoria asked the Naked Scientists:

Sometimes my clothing sticks to my body with static electricity.  It happens most often when I travel.  Other than using those sprays, is there a way to "de=charge" before I leave the hotel room?

Thanks for your show.  I'm hooked!

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 08/05/2011 20:30:05 by _system »

Offline Phractality

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2011 22:26:47 »
You can avoid fabrics that cling, or you can throw a conditioner into the clothes drier on laundry day. There are also antistatic brushes. Many products are available.

Offline budip

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/05/2011 01:31:19 »
You must be living in a dry place.

Static is caused by friction of two or more materials which then produce extra free electrons. Therefore, your body has more "charge" compare to the neutral reference point which in this case is ground or grounded material.

Try to apply extra lotion in several areas in your body, especially shoulder, thigh or legs. Those areas have high possibility to have friction with your clothes. If you're wearing some synthetic material, that would increase the chance.

If you get uncomfortable by the electric jump from your finger to other object, try to bring a key anytime and use it as the point of contact. Hold the key tightly and touch the key to the grounded object. The electric static will be discharged from the surface of the key instead of your skin. That discharges are quite safe for human, but still quite a shock for our delicate skin.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2011 03:43:40 »
Run the shower in the bathroom until it is nice and steamy, then dress in the bathroom. The high humidity in the bathroom will provide a conduction path to minimize the potential (voltage) between you and your clothing.

This will work even better if you hang your clothes in the bathroom while you are running the shower.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2011 03:43:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums