The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What causes the noise in a stomach when starving?  (Read 6357 times)

Offline vj_tu

• View Profile
Is it just like a small burst of a gas?If so, what gas is it??

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: What causes the noise in a stomach when starving?
« Reply #1 on: 31/03/2006 23:57:32 »
I believe it's something to do with the secretion of digestive juices into an empty stomach... but I wouldn't swear to it.

Brand new forum at
http://beaverlandforum.d4a.com
More than just science

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/04/2006 02:13:41 »
I don’t wish to sound harsh but people who are truly starving are beyond making this type of noise.  

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline ariel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/04/2006 02:39:01 »
The stomach squeezes and presses food to break it down, but when you are starving there is no food for it to do this
...and I think the noise is the stomach contracting when it's empty!

ariel

ROBERT

« Reply #4 on: 07/04/2006 18:18:47 »
"  Borborygmi (BOR-boh-RIG-mee)  

Definition: Rumbling sounds caused by gas moving through the intestines (stomach "growling").

Also Known As: stomach growling

Common Misspellings: borborigmi, borborygmee  "

http://ibscrohns.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-borborygmi.htm

PS
is "borborygmi" the longest onamatapoeic word ?
« Last Edit: 07/04/2006 18:22:55 by ROBERT »

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/04/2006 18:54:34 »
I am having a difficulty with this topic and in particular the word Starvation. Starvation is not hunger as most well fed people know it. if you have ever been in the presents of starving people you would never use this word this way.

Starvation
Structural and functional changes due to the total lack of intake of energy and essential nutrients.

Starvation is the most severe form of malnutrition. It may result from fasting, famine, anorexia nervosa, catastrophic disease of the GI tract, stroke, or coma. The basic metabolic response to starvation is conservation of energy and body tissues. However, the body will mobilize its own tissues as a source of energy, which results in the destruction of visceral organs and muscle and in extreme shrinkage of adipose tissue. Total starvation is fatal in 8 to 12 wk.

Symptoms and Signs
In adult volunteers who fasted for 30 to 40 days, weight loss was marked (25% of initial weight), metabolic rate decreased, and the rate and amount of tissue protein breakdown decreased by about 30%. In more prolonged starvation, weight loss may reach 50% in adults and possibly more in children. Loss of organ weight is greatest in the liver and intestine, moderate in the heart and kidneys, and least in the nervous system. Emaciation is most obvious in areas where prominent fat depots normally exist. Muscle mass shrinks and bones protrude. The skin becomes thin, dry, inelastic, pale, and cold. The hair is dry and sparse and falls out easily.
Most body systems are affected. Achlorhydria and diarrhea are common. Heart size and cardiac output are reduced; the pulse slows and blood pressure falls. Respiratory rate and vital capacity decrease. The main endocrine disturbance is gonadal atrophy with loss of libido in men and women and amenorrhea in women. Intellect remains clear, but apathy and irritability are common. The patient feels weak. Work capacity is diminished because of muscle destruction and, eventually, is worsened by cardiorespiratory failure. The anemia is usually mild, normochromic, and normocytic. Reduction in body temperature frequently contributes to death. In famine edema, serum proteins are usually normal, but loss of fat and muscle results in increased extracellular water, low tissue tension, and inelastic skin. Cell-mediated immunity is compromised, and wound healing is impaired (see Malnutrition-related Immunodeficiency in Ch. 147).
Laboratory Findings
Free fatty acid levels rise as fat is released from adipose tissue to provide energy. Blood glucose falls and is maintained at a lower level by synthesis of glucose in the liver from amino acids released from muscle. Plasma amino acid levels rise initially as muscle is broken down but then fall as starvation proceeds, with essential amino acids decreasing more than nonessential amino acids. Plasma insulin is low, glucagon is high, and serum albumin is near normal as long as muscle is broken down to provide amino acids for protein synthesis in the liver. Protein catabolism, in general, decreases with starvation, reflected by a reduction in urinary urea and total nitrogen.

Offline vj_tu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08/04/2006 11:38:15 »
quote:
I am having a difficulty with this topic and in particular the word Starvation. Starvation is not hunger as most well fed people know it. if you have ever been in the presents of starving people you would never use this word this way.

Thank you for your long and nice explanation of starvation, Hadrian.
In my defense, I'm a foreigner, English is not my mother tongue so you have to forgive me if I do not use gramma perfectly . Besides, in a dictionary it defines "starving" ( adjective) as spoken word meaning very hungry.

I don't get why you gave me this vocab lesson instead of giving your idea to my question.

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: 08/04/2006 11:44:44 »
Starving is used, if possibly wrongly, in a standard exaggeration to mean very hungry, so don't feel bad.

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10/04/2006 09:48:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by daveshorts

Starving is used, if possibly wrongly, in a standard exaggeration to mean very hungry, so don't feel bad.

I did admit it was my problem with the subject. I know no there was nothing meant by using it in this Forum. I just want to bring to everyone’s notice that others like me may have another meaning for this word altogether. I take no offence personally about this word. I just can't separated from the millions of humans who are right now starving because we the rest of the world wont shear our abundance with them. forgive me for pushing my stuff on you.

Hadrian

Offline zooyorkcity

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14/04/2006 18:20:49 »
Is there anyway to prevent this sound from happening?  It becomes embarrasing when the room is silent and everyone starts hearing your stomach make these noises.

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19/04/2006 14:42:05 »
It is probably easer to stop being embarrassed. I wouldn’t be to worried about people who would not like you because your tummy rumbles.   :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 19/04/2006 14:42:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums