The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The end of Organic food as we know it?  (Read 3840 times)

Offline deepthinker

• View Profile
The end of Organic food as we know it?
« on: 03/04/2006 15:52:17 »
I have just seen:
quote:

In a draft Regulation on Organic Production, adopted by the Commission yesterday, products containing up to 0.9% GMOs (genetically modified organisms) can be labelled as organic [1]. This is a step backwards compared to existing EU legislation. Independent legal advice obtained by Friends of the Earth and other NGOs concludes that the Organic Regulation currently in force does not allow an organic product to contain GMOs or GM derivatives in any quantity [2]

newbielink:http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/press_releases/eu_commiss..._gm_co_22122005.html [nonactive]

It’s appalling that money and big business get regulations like this changed just to suit themselves. Too many scientists are just arrogant in their total belief in themselves, and too many people care only about making money.

Especially when you consider:
quote:

Genetic modification (GM) is a new food technology. Although people are already eating it in a few products, it has only undergone one human feeding trial – and that showed negative results. In the study, commissioned by the Food Standards Agency, scientists found that GM DNA is transferring to the human gut bacteria. This worrying result has not been followed up.

newbielink:http://www.whyorganic.org/default.asp?myarg=2&main=3&sub=4 [nonactive]

But I bet money and big business will win over common sense, the environment and peoples rights.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: The end of Organic food as we know it?
« Reply #1 on: 03/04/2006 22:34:15 »
Malthus strikes again!

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/04/2006 22:59:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimBob

Malthus strikes again!

Is he the chap who said man, sooner or later, universally, will run up against himself ?

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 07/04/2006 02:17:17 »
In some ways, there is no doubt that the change is a defeat, but in many ways an unavoidable defeat.

The reality is that GM is out there, and the pandora's box has been opened, and much as we would like things to be the way they were, they never can be again.  That is progress, not always positive progress, but inevitable progress nonetheless.

The reality, no matter that Europe may restrict GMOs, or even ban them altogether; there is actually no way of containing GM to one part of the globe without it spilling over on to the rest of the globe.

The 0.9% may be a rear guard action, and maybe the best that can be achieved.  Maybe it might be argued that for another decade or so, we could have had tighter controls (maybe 0.09%, or some other figure); but we cannot in practice ever expect it to be 0.0000% ever again, and we must expect that the amount of contamination will grow over time, no matter how tough the rear guard action.

I don't actually believe that GM, or any other technology, is inherently bad, it is just that it is a very powerful technology, and no-one has actually done any analysis of what might go wrong, and how to pre-empt it.  It really is waiting for some serious disasters to happen before someone thinks about what kind of protection is required to contain the risks of the technology maybe when we get the GM equivalent to thalidomide, we might start thinking about risk management with GM (ofcourse, even today, thalidomide is a very valuable drug, but we now know how to manage the risks better).

George

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/04/2006 03:19:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by Hadrian

quote:
Originally posted by JimBob

Malthus strikes again!

Is he the chap who said man, sooner or later, universally, will run up against himself ?

He was the person that applied the Second Law of Thermodynamics to populations. I do not know if this was consciously applided or accidentally done. He wrote (Wikipedia)

"The power of population is so superior to the power of the earth to produce subsistence for man, that premature death must in some shape or other visit the human race. The vices of mankind are active and able ministers of depopulation. They are the precursors in the great army of destruction; and often finish the dreadful work themselves. But should they fail in this war of extermination, sickly seasons, epidemics, pestilence, and plague, advance in terrific array, and sweep off their thousands and tens of thousands. Should success be still incomplete, gigantic inevitable famine stalks in the rear, and with one mighty blow levels the population with the food of the world."

This Principle of Population was based on the idea that population if unchecked increases at a geometric rate (i.e. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc.) whereas the food supply grows at an arithmetic rate (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, etc.)."

I didn't want to state anything incorrectly. His observation has since been applied to all biologicl systems. For example, how the deer population within a specific area die off to only the fittest or most adaptable when food becomes scarce. When food is plentiful, the population increases.

I used it here because humans, the companies, scientist, etc., are subject to the same biolopgical imperative as deer. To set ourselves apart from the natural world is folly.

Looking it up I found that he was born in Surry!

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/04/2006 15:21:05 »
Ok thanks

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 07/04/2006 15:21:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums