The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cell Phone Electrocution?  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Carolyn

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 3761
    • View Profile
Cell Phone Electrocution?
« on: 08/04/2006 04:18:55 »
I received this email today.  Do any of you know if this is a real possibility or just another stupid email.  I answer my cell phone like this all the time.  If it is true, does it apply to car chargers as well?

Subject: Cell phone info
Subject: VERY IMPORTANT This was checked out on Snopes, yes, it did
happen!! Please read! This was also on Pittsburgh's WTAE channel 4 News.

Never, ever answer a cell phone while it is being CHARGED!! A few days ago,
a person was recharging his cell phone at home. Just at that time a call
came and he answered it with the instrument still connected to the outlet.
After a few seconds electricity flowed into the cell phone unrestrained and
the young man was thrown to the ground with a heavy thud. His parents
rushed to the room only to find him unconscious, with a weak heartbeat and
burnt fingers. He was rushed to the nearby hospital, but was pronounced
dead on arrival. Cell phones are a very useful modern invention. However,
we must be aware that it can also be an instrument of death. Never use the
cell phone while it is hooked to the electrical outlet!




  • Guest
Re: Cell Phone Electrocution?
« Reply #1 on: 08/04/2006 05:39:07 »
I am very surprised at this, and can only imagine that there was a problem with the transformer in which case, you probably have about as much chance of being electrocuted by a hair dryer or electric shaver while it is plugged in.

Most mobile phone charging units have a transformer built into the mains plug that converts mains voltage to something like 6V DC, and the only voltage that is normally likely to be entering the phone is about the same voltage (although at a higher current) as you would normally get from a handful of alkaline batteries.

For mains voltage to have gotten to the phone itself, there must have been some faulty wiring within the transformer.


Offline daveshorts

  • Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2583
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Electrocution?
« Reply #2 on: 08/04/2006 11:03:11 »
If you touch anything attached to the mains there is a small chance it has broken and will give you a shock, but for a mobile phone whcih is insulated to start with I think that chance is pretty low...!

I think as it has no references it is an urban myth or at the most a manufacturing fault

Offline Hadrian

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2175
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Electrocution?
« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2006 19:37:55 »
Mobile shocker that will make you hair stand on end if you believe it that is.

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Cell Phone Electrocution?
« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2006 19:37:55 »


SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums