The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Should really drink 8 glasses of water per day?  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
Should really drink 8 glasses of water per day?
« on: 29/05/2011 00:40:16 »
Should one really drink 8 glasses of water per day?  If I did that I would spend most of my time in the bathroom either micturating or defecating or both.  What is realistic?  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29/05/2011 00:56:51 »
Oh...
I thought it was 8 cups of coffee a day!!!!!!!!

I don't think there is any sense in a standard "8 cups a day". 

You need to do what seems comfortable.  Enough that you have to urinate at least a couple of times a day, and it isn't ultra-concentrated.

If you are working hard outside in the summer, it might be a few gallons a day.
If you are working in a climate-conditioned office with a sedentary job, perhaps a lot less.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/05/2011 15:12:19 »
Billions of years of evolution have gone into producing a system to regulate how much water you intake. It's very good, and has been in action since before glasses were even invented.

If you work in the heat and humidity, 8 glasses will not be enough. If you work in an air-conditioned office, 8 glasses will be too much.

If you feel thirsty, drink. No one ever accidentally dies of dehydration because they forgot to drink. And forcing yourself to drink more may be harmful: http://drbenkim.com/drink-too-much-water-dangerous.html

This "8 glasses a day" nonsense is just another old wives tale.

Quote from: Brian Dunning of Skeptoid http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4174
We'll begin with the age-old advice that you should drink at least eight glasses of water a day, or about two liters. If you're backpacking or bicycle racing, that's not really all that much. But for most people, who, like me, sit around watching TV and scratching their belly, this would merely lead to superfluous trips to the bathroom. The problem is that the advice is not only unsupported, it's also misrepresented. The original recommendation seems to come from the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council, which, way back in 1945, said that you should do this. But what seems to have been forgotten is that the report added "Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods." Omit that, and it appears that you're supposed to stand at the sink and fill your glass eight times a day; which, it turns out, nobody ever recommended in the first place. Whatever you drink normally, in the form of coffee, juice, soft drinks, whatever, probably satisfies most people's water requirements. The evidence for this is that we don't see suited businesspeople laying around on the sidewalks of New York City dying of thirst, stretching out their hands in appeal to passersby.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/05/2011 21:48:16 »
Ok, nonetheless, I discovered I feel better If I drink more water than what I feel to drink. But I imagine it's because my specific phisiology needs it (I probably eat too much   :(  ).
« Last Edit: 30/05/2011 21:52:42 by lightarrow »

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31/05/2011 05:41:56 »
Ok, nonetheless, I discovered I feel better If I drink more water than what I feel to drink. But I imagine it's because my specific phisiology needs it (I probably eat too much   :(  ).
if u freeze the waters u can eat the ices?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31/05/2011 08:40:30 »
if u freeze the waters u can eat the ices?
Ah, yes  :). I tried, but it doesn't taste as a piece of chocolate  :D

Offline granpa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31/05/2011 10:12:47 »
I always thought 8 glasses was alot but when i measured it i found that i regularly and easily drink 2.5 liters.
its not as much as you think

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04/06/2011 21:05:36 »
You can teach the body to ignore dehydration to some degree. I used to do some heavy work in my youth and I never drank anything before I'd finished. So you can be fooled by 'yourself', meaning that I think you're on the right track Lightarrow :) If you feel better by it, do it.

Here in Sweden we have this recommendation to eat six slices of bread per day too.
Don't know if I really need too :)

Anyway, sharing advice and all :) One thing I found is that when you have a upset stomach, eating a orange do wonders. I don't know why but it works for me? And a tip I got in India was to test apples when you woke up, according to the guy telling me it it was better than coffee, although? Naah :)

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04/06/2011 21:21:46 »
You can teach the body to ignore dehydration to some degree. I used to do some heavy work in my youth and I never drank anything before I'd finished. So you can be fooled by 'yourself', meaning that I think you're on the right track Lightarrow :) If you feel better by it, do it.

Here in Sweden we have this recommendation to eat six slices of bread per day too.
Don't know if I really need too :)

Anyway, sharing advice and all :) One thing I found is that when you have a upset stomach, eating a orange do wonders. I don't know why but it works for me? And a tip I got in India was to test apples when you woke up, according to the guy telling me it it was better than coffee, although? Naah :)

try grapefruit instead of orange

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06/06/2011 20:23:19 »
Of course! Even if it's only a psychosomatic effect, at least it's cheap  :D

...if you work outside in the Sweden winter I imagine  ;)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06/06/2011 21:55:59 »
Be careful of heat stroke.

As long as you are sweating, you may be ok.

If you ever stop sweating while working hard in the summer, it is suddenly an emergency situation.

One (government) job I worked at would hire interns to check people's temperatures during the summer.  If a person ever hit a certain temperature...  I'm not sure, either 100F or 101F, then they would tell the person to immediately stop work.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 06/06/2011 21:55:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums