The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: would putting soya soy into water make my flowers turn brown. ?  (Read 4385 times)

Offline kierae0608

• View Profile
i am wanting to turn my white flowers into brown for my wedding day, Would putting soya soy sauce into wthe water make them go brown. ?

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
It might.. but by and large plants don't like having large amounts of salt added to their environment, and I'd think you'd need a fairly high concentration of soy sauce (and therefore of salt) to make the colour change noticable. So you might do better using some brown food colouring.

If it's for your wedding I'd get some white flowers well in advance and try several different brown dyes (food colouring, ink, anything you can think of), and see which of the flowers change colour in the way you're hoping for (and still look healthy) it will also give you an opportunity to find out how long it takes, which might be a day or more, to get the effect you want. 

Offline kierae0608

• View Profile
what about brown shoe polish if i melted it into my the water , i really need to find out or wife will not be one happy bunny. Plus where do you find brown food colouring. ? :-\
« Last Edit: 04/06/2011 00:36:46 by kierae0608 »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Suggest you just get artificial ones and spray paint them. They are going to look like sh** anyway.

Offline kierae0608

• View Profile
If only i had thought of that one. So geezer a break n geezer real answer. and let me guess your wedding flowers (if your even married) were white , or pink, how dull n common, some people do like a variety in life.
« Last Edit: 04/06/2011 12:59:59 by kierae0608 »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I think you may have a problem here.
Things like soy sauce and caramel are brown and essentially non toxic, but they are composed of a horrible mixture of big complex molecules. The important thing is that the molecules are big, so they won't get taken up well by the flowers.
I think a spray with brown food dye might be the least bad option here.
At least one brown food dye is available.
http://www.fastcolours.co.uk/e155-brown-ht-food-brown-3-ci-20285-39-c.asp

Offline kierae0608

• View Profile
thank you for the link, i am in the process of trying black food dye in the water with different dilutions of the food colouring to see if the flowers absorb the weaker amounts faster, yes they have started to turn black along the veins of the petals but the petals are very weak and seem to be sagging. i have previously turn white flowers into blue yellow red/pink green. but brown has completly got me stumped.  :-\

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
I seem to be good at turning any plant BROWN!!!!!!!!!   
A lack of water seems to help!!!!!!!!

You might choose chocolate candy flowers.  You may be able to dip natural roses in chocolate too.

Here is a stunning bouquet which seems to be a mix of natural and artificial flowers.
http://www.budget-bride.com/002229.htm

If you choose a dye, perhaps try dipping the petals in the dye.  No need to limit yourself to food colors if you're not planning on eating them.  Brown can be a mix of other primary colors, so unless you begin with white flowers, you may end up mixing colors a bit anyway.

There seem to be notes of brown roses on the internet, but they may be brownish-orange or brownish-pink.  Any pure brown is likely enhanced.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
I don't remember! It was so long ago.

Anyway, an airbrush would let you produce some really cool effects. You could even apply a nice metallic finish.

Offline kierae0608

• View Profile
is that possible , i mean to eat real flowers dipped in choclate. ? cant do that for the button holes though or the centerpieces. U sure you arent a mechanic geezer. lol

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Here is a note about roses (and other flowers).

Roses (Rosa rugosa or R. gallica officinalis) - Flavors depend on type, color, and soil conditions. Flavor reminiscent of strawberries and green apples. Sweet, with subtle undertones ranging from fruit to mint to spice. All roses are edible, with the flavor being more pronounced in the darker varieties. In miniature varieties can garnish ice cream and desserts, or larger petals can be sprinkled on desserts or salads. Freeze them in ice cubes and float them in punches also. Petals used in syrups, jellies, perfumed butters and sweet spreads. NOTE: Be sure to remove the bitter white portion of the petals.

In the article, they note that not all flowers are edible.  If in doubt, look it up.  You certainly would want to make sure your dipping roses are not treated with pesticides and chemicals.

Here are some notes about dipping roses in chocolate.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4472344_make-chocolate-flowers.html

I suppose I can imagine problems with chocolate corsages, although it would certainly be a temptation to periodically pluck the petals and munch them down.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
is that possible , i mean to eat real flowers dipped in choclate. ? cant do that for the button holes though or the centerpieces. U sure you arent a mechanic geezer. lol

Geezer is Fender's little brother - but we try and keep the fact hidden, (especially from Geezer himself he doesn't realize that he isn't human

Offline kierae0608

• View Profile
dnt worry i wont mention anything to dr zoigberg

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums