The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Interesting information about migraines.  (Read 2773 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Interesting information about migraines.
« on: 13/06/2011 02:59:52 »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110612/hl_afp/healthgenesmigraines_20110612173029

I've suffered from migraines most of my life. I'm beginning to think there is some sort of "auto suggestion" thing going on, in my case at least.

I had one yesterday. I drove into town to do some errands, and while I was in a store I detected the start of the dreaded aura. However, I'm not sure if I detected the aura before or after I thought about it. I have a suspicion the lighting in the store made me think I was beginning to get an aura before I really detected it, but then my brain took over and I actually did!

I decided it was not going to beat me, so I went back to my car and tried to relax for five minutes. Then I continued with my errands and tried to ignore the aura as much as possible. It actually worked! The aura dissipated in about ten minutes.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2011 07:37:05 »
You didn't go to a Disco and watch the strobe lights and listen to some loud relaxing music?

I've heard that the migraines can be pretty miserable.  I'm glad that it went away.

Do you use Imitrex? It is supposed to help a lot of people.  The pen type injectable appears to be very easy to use.  There is a nasal spray too, but I've seen people get a gag reflex from the nasal spray.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/06/2011 08:29:16 »
Fortunately their severity and frequency decreased a lot as I got older. The headaches that follow the aura are fairly tame these days, so I have managed to avoid any medications.

Migraines are really disgusting things to experience. Naturally, those who have never had one might tend to think those who suffer from them are making a big fuss over a bit of a headache, but it's not really anything like a headache. Strangely enough, I hardly ever get "regular" headaches!

I was about eight years old when I first had a migraine. I remember being terrified because my eyes were not working properly and I thought I was going blind. My father took me to an optician, but he had no idea what was going on.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/06/2011 11:44:33 »
I occasionally get "visual migraines" which are very disturbing. Of course I can't drive, or do much at all, when I get them as I can only see a bunch of geometric flashing patterns in the centre of my field of view. Closing my eyes does not help and, because it is in the brain really, the patterns appear to be in the same place in both eyes. I take a fast dissolving aspirin and try to relax; it then will go between a few minutes and around an hour. They seem stress related and if I can clear my mind and thoroughly relax, then they seem to clear more quickly.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/06/2011 18:14:10 »
They seem stress related and if I can clear my mind and thoroughly relax, then they seem to clear more quickly.

I have some anecdotal evidence that they can be triggered by a lack of stress, but I'm sure there are many reasons.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2011 09:14:54 »
I think there are likely to be many possible causes, high BP, Lo BP, chemical imbalances. I have high BP regulated by drugs (which work very well most of the time) and am prone to the effects of stress. Of course I have a high stress job and have had quite a few stressful pastimes - why do I do that?? My wife says I'm a risk taker though I don't agree - I just like to control the risks. Do you have an unusually low BP, Geezer. Maybe it is low BP that triggers your migraines.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/06/2011 10:28:37 »
Anecdotally - my family members who get migraines tend to get them first day of holiday or weekend after particularly stressful week.  If I have a bugger of a week at work and then have a lie-in on saturday morning I risk developing a migraine Sat pm - it's a real bummer, although it does mean I get stuff done at the weekend.

I have always thought that it's the rate of change of stress that triggers migraines rather than the absolute level

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14/06/2011 11:43:13 »
Do you change your caffeine intake on weekends?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14/06/2011 14:15:52 »
Cliff - quick-thinking; however thought of that, controlled for it, still happened.  Ditto for Nicotine.  I have drastically reduced my caffeine intake anyway and stopped smoking entirely - but not because of migraines

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14/06/2011 18:13:02 »
Graham - my BP seems to be pretty normal. In my last job I had a hundred or so (mostly insane :D) engineers working for me before, but I think I've had more migraines since I retired.

Matt - My father-in-law used to get them a Saturday too, regular as clockwork. I used to get them regularly in the woodwork class at school, which was a real bummer because woodwork was one of the few subjects I actually enjoyed!

Offline Dimz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/07/2011 15:39:01 »
Alright Geezer.

I've had migraines ever since I was a kid, I think I'm a classical symptom sufferer. My dad had it, and his dad before him, really horrible things.

I find that when I think about getting migraines I'm likely to suffer one. If I think about the visual stimulation and the effects that it has on my head and all of my senses, it sickens me loads, I forget about it, but then after I'm likely to get a migraine. So I'm sure (in my case at least) that thinking about them actually has some power to induce them.

On top of this, my old man always used to say he went into a dark dark room and always focused on the 'dots' (our word for the visual stimuli, not actually dots but as close a description as we can get), and would just try to focus on them until they went away. I tried it once, and it was like they were receding the more I focused, like a tumor shrinking but at a fast rate.
« Last Edit: 02/07/2011 15:40:54 by Dimz »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 02/07/2011 15:39:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums