The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Need some advice for choosing between studying Physics and Chemistry  (Read 3658 times)

Offline dunmireg

• First timers
    • View Profile
I'm especially interested in studying alternative fuels like hydrogen fuel cells. What do you guys think is a better or more useful science discipline to study: chemistry or physics? Also, do you have any good resources on new means of transportation because I found the wikipedia article to be pretty bad. Thanks.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
What age group are you in?  Which country? Until A'levels you can keep your options open - I did Chem, Phys and double Maths - and they fit together really well and tend not to close off too many avenues.  At degree level - heaven knows, I got kicked off my first two degree courses!  From that experience I would say do something you enjoy rather than something for a job/career

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Hello Dunmireg, and welcome to the forum.

You haven't included too much information.  Age, grade, country, high school background, etc.

If you are interested in design, then you might consider an engineering degree.  Here in the USA, Engineering is a graduate degree.  I'm not sure about all of the undergraduate requirements, but you would likely end up with multidisciplinary studies during your undergraduate studies.

Many students also consider the first year as an exploratory year, and often change their majors as they get more of a taste for college.  One of the first things you learn in college is that the more you learn, the more you don't know.

Both physics and engineering will require intense mathematics.  

If you are a sophomore or junior in high school, consider taking a few Advanced Placement courses next year.  

I always thought the most important AP class that I took was AP Calculus, although I would still encourage taking at least some college mathematics, perhaps second year calculus, although I suppose I always felt a little cheated on never quite having 3rd term first year calculus.

Anyway, imatfaal's advice of finding something you enjoy is good advice, and I must admit that much of what many people do is somewhat different from their college studies.

(I'm not sure about Europe.  In the USA, one can take Advanced Placement (AP) Courses in High School.  At the end of the class, one takes an exam that gives one full college credit for the course, except in my case that I was still required to take college history and literature.  However, the credits still counted towards getting me into registration essentially a year ahead of my classmates so I never was locked out of a single course).

I don't know any radical websites for new automotive innovation.  I'm sure there are some bulletin boards out there.
Here is an excellent site for alternative energy, but unfortunately not real active on the transportation.
http://www.fieldlines.com/board/

Here is an excellent website, primarily focused on biodiesel, but also discusses ethanol, and other alternative fuels.  Not much on electric vehicles.
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums

Search for Electric Vehicles on the WWW for more info on them.
« Last Edit: 14/06/2011 10:17:23 by CliffordK »

Offline dunmireg

• First timers
    • View Profile
Thank you so much for your help. To clarify I am actually a senior in college and am finishing my degree, which is why I am only able to take one of the two classes. I also don't have the option to go back to school after this year due to funding.

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
Chemistry, Physics aint gonna change much?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Oh,
I see...
Just wanting individual classes.

Either one is good, although truthfully to get a good feel for Chemistry, you will need both first year General Chemistry as well as second year Organic Chemistry.

Don't anticipate any life altering revelations from a single chemistry or physics course.  And, keep in mind that some of the introductory courses can be pretty basic.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums