The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: new generation is less habit of reading books.  (Read 3849 times)

Offline suncorpse

• View Profile
new generation is less habit of reading books.
« on: 13/04/2006 13:32:52 »
Please don't take it otherwise, this is not for you, this is my opinion, what I have observed here, that the new generation is not stick with the books and the reading materials, but they are mainly the online readers, in their home especially in the study room only I have observed some floppees and disks, when I have asked them where are your books, this shelf is looking totally empty, they replied that the " this is modern era, and we have bind the books into the box and kept on the upper place in the hall ( where the dumping place is there) when I asked him one book, then he ran on the computer, and was searching almost for half an hour, when I ask him that " modern era allows you to waste your time", he rudely said nyo, instead "no".

when he found in the search line of that book name, the file was deleted by his yonger brother, later he asked to his yonger brother, his yonger brother replied him that the " modern era do not allow to dump the material in the computer it is unnecessarily occuping the place in the computer, by looking their interaction I just :D.

later I advice to these boys to stick with the books, always open that book and get it in the mind, so that your topic will be easy and you will succeed in the exam 100%, I was waitaing with his " modern era style, what says, " but he has not replied me, his mouth was shut down, later I also suggest that fellow that shut down your computer please, it is unnecessarity wasting the electricity, but that modern boy was :D loudly, and offer me " sir, coffee".

what is your opinion?

sunil

another_someone

Re: new generation is less habit of reading books.
« Reply #1 on: 13/04/2006 16:35:32 »
Interestingly, a very similar discussion (albeit, from a slightly different perspective) has been going on in another email list I am a member if.

Someone on the list was mentioning that they were now reading Bede's 'The Ecclesiastical History of the English People' as an ebook on her PDA, which she found more convenient to take with her and read while travelling.

Although I do have a large number of books, some of which are over 30 years old; but increasingly I am finding that things I might have bought as a book, I find quicker (and much cheaper) to search out on the Internet, and no less convenient to read (as I get older, my eyesight is not what it used to be, and the fact that I can adjust the font size on the display, whereas the font used in the book is whatever the printer has chosen, and is immutable).

One may draw a comparison with the demise of letter writing that has come about, first by the introduction of the telephone, and now accelerated by the increasing use of email.  I am now so used to using computers, both as a communication tool, and even even just as a tool for storing my own notes, that I find myself ever less used to reading handwritten document, and find myself with ever more with difficulty trying to interpret handwritten documents.

George

Offline suncorpse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/04/2006 18:42:17 »
thanks for your reply another_someone.
people today are finding the suitability with their habits which gives them more time saving tools as they wish to do or write and read, you also said that online search is much useful to search any kind of book related or topic related search, that's fine.

sunil

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/04/2006 18:46:35 »
My 12 year old son and I are both avid readers.  We would both rather read from a book than from a computer screen. His bookcase in his room is filled with books that he's read.  I don't know of any of his friends that feel the same way about books that he does.  I love the way a book feels in my hands, even stranger, I love the smell of books.  One of my joys in life is to see my son laying on the sofa reading a book and hearing him laugh at something he's just read, or seeing the expression on his face when he's excited about what he's read.  I just can't imagine getting that kind of joy from a computer screen.

My son likes for me to read his books so that he has someone to discuss them with.  This is, of course, an honour for me, that my boy thinks I'm intelligent enough to have these discussions with him.  But as George said above, the older I get, the more my eyes bother me.  I do find it more diffcult now to keep up with my sons reading list as well as with my own reading.  Reading from the computer does not seem to cause as much strain on my eyes.  I hope I can find the right glasses that will allow me to continue reading from books without the strain.

Carolyn

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 13/04/2006 20:32:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by suncorpse
also said that online search is much useful to search any kind of book related or topic related search,

It isn't just about searching information, it is just as much about reading whole books electronically.

Although I still like to 'own' books, the same way that I like to 'own' music CD's; but looking at thing on-line can give me the opportunity to take risks and read something that I may not necessarily have bought.

I don't normally buy fiction almost all of the books on my bookshelf are non-fiction; but I have sometimes read fiction (mostly classics that are no longer in copyright and so are freely available) from downloaded books from the Internet.

George

Offline VAlibrarian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/04/2006 00:40:43 »
As a librarian, I have a longstanding affection for printed books, but I think the key here is that it would be regrettable if the 'net experience were to reduce the willingness of people to spend the time to read an entire book, be it nonfiction or fiction, print or online. There is nothing to equal the experience ofreading a classic novel or a well constructed, fact-based, and well styled nonfiction work. What we are doing here with these postings is certainly technically impressive, but a single page does not have the nuance, detail, or impact of a longer work.

chris wiegard

another_someone

« Reply #6 on: 17/04/2006 01:02:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by VAlibrarian

As a librarian, I have a longstanding affection for printed books, but I think the key here is that it would be regrettable if the 'net experience were to reduce the willingness of people to spend the time to read an entire book, be it nonfiction or fiction, print or online. There is nothing to equal the experience ofreading a classic novel or a well constructed, fact-based, and well styled nonfiction work. What we are doing here with these postings is certainly technically impressive, but a single page does not have the nuance, detail, or impact of a longer work.

chris wiegard

But I don't think I read any differently, I just use a different medium to read it on, and have a wider range of freely available material.

The wider problem with electronic storage is archival and intellectual property. - will all the information be accessible, either technically or in terms of legal access, to future generations.

In the case of public domain material that is downloadable, this is not necessarily such a major problem since there will be lots of copies available on a wide range of media; but in the case of copyrighted material that may be locked down with proprietary software, what will happen when the software becomes obsolete and the media is no longer accessible.  This is something that does not exist with cruder, and unprotected, material, such as the printed book.

George
« Last Edit: 17/04/2006 01:03:48 by another_someone »

Offline suncorpse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20/04/2006 18:02:23 »
so the electronic reading is much better than the book reading, caroline ! and the cris's experiences are looking something different as they have stated that they are the librarian, librarian is also a best reader of reder's choices and their faces, what books are their likes and unlikes. :)

sunil

Offline harryneild

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/04/2006 18:17:30 »

"Knowledge has to be improved, challenged, and increased constantly, or it vanishes." Peter F. Drucker
« Last Edit: 05/04/2007 22:08:02 by harryneild »

Offline suncorpse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21/04/2006 18:32:21 »
thanks harry for the reply, the last lines in your above reply are very nice from the peter f. druker's book, infact it is saying that to acquire knowledge through the books gets more improvements in an individual. the reading habits are more wise and this must be continue.

there are many people in the world and most of the students from the verious universities around the world has a habit to accompany some nice books when their period over in the colleges, they mainly prefer to read the books in the leisure time and during sleeping time. if someone is lying on the bed along with a big book, he will get a great sleep, because during the bed time our eyes are getting a sort of stretch and by looking into the books. at this time we prefer first sleeping than reading, means for the people who have a sleeplessness problem they can adhere with this concept to keep a book in the hands while lying on the bed.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 21/04/2006 18:32:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums