The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where do the children play?  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Where do the children play?
« on: 22/06/2011 10:41:09 »
When we talk of conservation, protecting the environment and such like issues, we often forget that we (Human Beings) are also a part of the whole picture.

The current financial turmoil we find ourselves in has hit hard and led to austerity measures being taken the world over.

The recent announcements by the London boroughs’ of Wandsworth and Bexley to introduce charges for the use of children’s playgrounds to alleviate their financial problems put me in mind of a song written by Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens) back in 1970.

Where do the Children Play

Perhaps we should have taken more notice of Cat Stevens and other ‘protest’ artists of those days.

We should try not to forget, when we talk of 'environmental issues', that we are a part of that environment too.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22/06/2011 17:25:29 »
I was amazed to find this out - the news of this had passed me by. I would say that the council have been hoisted by their own petard to some extent though - quote from The Grauniad (i.e. The Guardian for those who don't get the joke here)...

"The council said the park was "more than just swings and roundabouts" and that because the adventure area contained zip wires and 40ft structures, there were added health and safety staffing costs that needed to be recouped in difficult economic circumstances."

Swings, slides and roundabouts are one thing, but when you have 40 foot high structures and zip-wires then it needs 100% supervision and I would probably expect to have to pay for this. I am not generally in favour of overdoing the Health and Safety aspects, but in this case it is probably justified. I can see that the council is an easy target by doing this though!

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/07/2011 18:35:09 »
When I was younger we would go out into the woods with my friends and climb trees, make tree houses, and just generally enjoy the freedom we had to be creative in what we did.

Today I feel very sorry for children as the only play areas are places surrounded by fencing and it seems to encourage a type of mentality that promotes constraint, restriction, regulation and confinement.

Gone are the days of playing in open areas, now all you see is these horrible little parks popping up surrounded by iron fencing with spikes on top!!

You see all the mothers sat together having a natter and woe betide the child who tries to make a dash for the exit, or as I call it freedom!  To me this seems part of the Orwellian problem that is being pushed onto society as a new control technique given that religion has now lost its clout.

Gone are the days in the UK when you could be shot at by a farmer with salt pellets in his shot gun, at least I hope they were salt pellets anyway, for running through his crop.  Gone are the days of true creativity, all that is left are small play pens, and the word pens should be emphasised or even extended to penitentiary!

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/07/2011 03:15:22 »
Most modern constitutions mandate that the taxpayer can only be charged for the costs of the administration of the laws which the taxpayer has demanded (through the agency of their representatives). So to maximize the demand for taxes, the bureaucracy is engaged in ever-expanding the laws that bring them their income, resulting in ever-expanding ministries with everyone getting bumped up a level whenever a new layer is added at the bottom. Yes, it's a pyramid scheme, even printed on the dollar.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/07/2011 08:13:56 »
I think it is ok to charge for a theme park.  Disneyland isn't free after all.  Organizations have been charging for the use of swimming pools and water parks for years.

Of course, as Airthumbs mentioned, there are many FREE things that one can do.  One can usually climb a tree for free.  A swimming hole and a rope tied to a tree is also usually free, and one doesn't even have to be bothered with chlorine.

Kids often like to do what their parents are doing.  My nephew loves power tools, and whatever project everyone else is working on.  And, of course, driving the tractor once in a while (with some help as he still can't reach all the controls).

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 27/07/2011 08:13:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums