The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Flatus humanus  (Read 2648 times)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Flatus humanus
« on: 14/04/2006 01:32:00 »
The average human being produces about 1 liter of flatulance a day. But not all person have the intestinal fauna of archaebacteria that formes methane. (Cattle produce an average of 280 liters per day, other ruminants unknown.)

How can I know whether or not I produce methane and, with the ruminants, cause global warming?

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline wim

• View Profile
Re: Flatus humanus
« Reply #1 on: 14/04/2006 02:05:03 »
I think the best way to find out would be igniting your fart(s)wich contain hydrogen and methane as flammable gasses, and watching the colour of this flame. If this flame tends to be blue you are a methane-producer, if not you do not produce methane. Simple experiment but not without substantial risks.:)[]

This lady clearly didn't take the needed precautions, but at the end of the little film you can see the blue flames(a bit, I'm not really sure), so she is a methane-producer.

« Reply #2 on: 15/04/2006 13:34:03 »
[:0]that sounds like it hhhhuuuuuuurrrrrrtttttt!!!!!

J.B.S Haldane on the perforated eardrums which were a consequence of his pressure experiments "the drum generally heals up; and if a hole remains in it, although one is somewhat deaf, one can blow tobacco smoke out of  the ear in question, which is a social accomplishment".

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 15/04/2006 13:34:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums