The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What do you think of this new theory (Stonehenge)  (Read 9161 times)

Offline jbor

• First timers
    • View Profile
Is it possible that Stonehenge is not religious and was about the physics of the heavens?

Playlist:  newbielink:http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL5C6D8494EA2D8249 [nonactive]

(all of the playlist takes about 10 minutes but skim through the recaps at the start.. makes it much quicker.)

What do you make of this new theory? (published a few days ago, partly in the playlist but also as a non-fiction appendix to a novel)

From elsewhere:

'Of Hyperion we are told that he was the first to understand, by diligent attention and observation, the movement of both the sun and the moon and the other stars, and the seasons as well, in that they are caused by these bodies, and to make these facts known to others.
Diodorus Siculus, Library of History

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
What do you think of this new theory (Stonehenge)
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/2011 19:09:04 »
I do not think that this is a new theory.  I have seen several documentaries over the past few years that clearly show Stonehenge is aligned to the stars and was probably a very important tool in everday life at the time, one example is by showing when the best times for planting crops are.

Have a look at this post I made recently about Food and Magic  ;D http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=40013.0;topicseen

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2011 19:19:19 »
i got a theory=solstice is peak daylight & they made human sacrifices so to detain the forthcoming shorter days & increased darkness. Lotta graves around there i read.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/07/2011 19:27:32 »
Winter solstice was a much more important then the Summer solstice to the users of Stonehenge... and yes I believe there are a lot of graves around the henge but a lot of people think that this was because the site was reserved as burial grounds for important people.  Nearby to Stonehenge you also have a lot of other barrows including Avesbury Circle which is the largest stone circle in Europe with a diameter of 331.6 meters.

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/07/2011 19:35:59 »
i gotta think a medieval farmer/hunter aint gonna wanna pile rocks unless "coerced"

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/07/2011 19:53:03 »
i gotta think a medieval farmer/hunter aint gonna wanna pile rocks unless "coerced"

I think the people who built this pile of rocks, in the picture below, probably had some other forms of motivation such as defense..... Imagine Avesbury circle with wooden ramparts, not a bad defensive spot?

Of course magic men can be pretty coercive!!

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/07/2011 20:59:06 »
looks like a lotta work. whats on top , a catapult?

Offline jbor

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/07/2011 22:19:54 »
I do not think that this is a new theory. 

Have a look at this post I made recently about Food and Magic  ;D http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=40013.0;topicseen

Can you remember where you saw it before.. or how they proved it is wrong or that it is not a new idea?

Thanks; much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 03/07/2011 22:21:37 by jbor »

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/07/2011 22:57:31 »
I do not think that this is a new theory. 

Can you remember where you saw it before.. or how they proved it is wrong or that it is not a new idea?

I have seen so many documentaries over the years that I cannot recall where I saw it but I did have a really good look for you and found this website which is the closest I can get...

http://www.tivas.org.uk/stonehenge/stone_ast.html

I am pretty sure that the documentary I saw involved using a computer to analyse the alignments for the stones as they would have been closer to the time the structure was built.

I can also recollect that Stonehenge had several phases of it's construction over many years and was not build all in one go but evolved over time. 

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/07/2011 22:59:51 »
looks like a lotta work. whats on top , a catapult?

The pile of stones in question is Dover Castle, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dover_Castle

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04/07/2011 07:15:52 »
or that it is not a new idea?

Gerald S. Hawkins - Stonhenge Decoded - Nature, Volume 200, Issue 4904, pp. 306-308 (1963).

Offline jbor

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04/07/2011 10:05:58 »
Gerald S. Hawkins - Stonhenge Decoded - Nature, Volume 200, Issue 4904, pp. 306-308 (1963).

Does Hawkins say that a solar concentrator was his idea or does he just allude to it? I have Hawkin's book, which seems to be largely Archaeoastronomy, but don't have access to the Nature article.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04/07/2011 21:41:36 »
Hey Jbor, just a few questions that I hope you don't mind answering as I find Stonehenge fascinating.  Did that website link I provided you point you in the right direction?
Do you have any other information that would support the theory you suggested in your original post?
Is the new theory your proposing suggesting that Stonehenge was only used as some kind of cosmological indicator with regard to the physics of the heavens and that religious uses were non existent at the site?

Thanks  ;D

Offline jbor

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05/07/2011 09:25:40 »
Hi Airthumbs

Thanks for the link. I'm interested in finding obvious scientific holes in the theory. This stonehenge based site goes into more detail on the theory (ignore the book stuff at the top; that's just promotion)

newbielink:http://www.eternalidol.com/?p=9655 [nonactive]

I may have made a mistake in the original post and my apologies for misleading everyone: The religion/science angle isn't noted in the videos (or elsewhere) as relevant.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05/07/2011 16:38:42 »
Hi Jbor, I had a quick glance over the website you provided a link for.  If Stonehenge was used as a solar cooker, or even a solar crematorium then would there not be clear evidence of that at the site itself?

It would seem to me that the fact they have found skeletal remains around the site would suggest that the solar crematorium was a little ineffective given the huge amount of manpower required at the time to construct the site. In other words it would seem a little odd to build such a device and then not use it?

I love the idea of a solar cooker, but if this was the case then I am sure there would be evidence of this.  Maybe they cooked and ate the people and then buried the bones around the site.  Of course that can't be true either as the bones extracted would show clear signs of exposure to high temperature.

So what other theories are there?  I see that it has been estimated that to construct the three sites at Stonehenge would have taken approximately 30 million man hours!  Also it seems the most prominent theories for its use are human sacrifice and astronomy.

One theory I see is that it was a computer, however to me the only thing it can compute are things like eclipses. That would indeed give whoever possessed that kind of knowledge at the time a lot of power.  Whoever could predict a solar eclipse could for example scare the living daylights out of people and thus earn themselves quite a lot of power.  Look at the way the modern day church adopts scare tactics to extract money from people and you will see where I am coming from on that one.

Maybe Stonehenge was a combination of knowledge put together from all the other stone circles created before it. A conglomeration of information and that was why it was so important and worthwhile at the time.

What other theories have you managed to come up with?  In the mean time take a look at this well put together website about the most recent dig at the site in 2008.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/stonehenge/

For anyone who would like to have a look round Stonehenge this is great.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/stonehenge/panorama.shtml
« Last Edit: 05/07/2011 16:45:33 by Airthumbs »

Offline jbor

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05/07/2011 20:15:13 »
I love the idea of a solar cooker, but if this was the case then I am sure there would be evidence of this. 

What evidence would you see as being conclusive? In other words, what is missing that should be present if the idea were true?

Maybe they cooked and ate the people and then buried the bones around the site.  Of course that can't be true either as the bones extracted would show clear signs of exposure to high temperature.

The bones buried in the area do show such signs (though of cremation not cooking!) eg:
newbielink:http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/News/Latest/Pages/stonehengeaubreyhole.aspx?print=true [nonactive]
And also in the surrounding mounds (from memory)
It's an interesting idea that they cooked people alive: I hadn't heard that there were sacrifice theories for Stonehenge!

I'm particularly interested to find a scientific reasoning or method which would show that the theory can not be true.

Thanks for the links by the way!
« Last Edit: 05/07/2011 20:47:14 by jbor »

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05/07/2011 21:04:20 »
the sacrifice/sun worship/darkfearing theory pooped outa my head so maybe its mine! How many different primitives sacrificed whatever to appease a higher power?

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06/07/2011 02:24:49 »
the sacrifice/sun worship/darkfearing theory pooped outa my head so maybe its mine! How many different primitives sacrificed whatever to appease a higher power?

I don't wish to disappoint you CZARCAR but you may well find that this theory of sacrifices at Stonehenge as been around long before the internet or computers even existed.  However as the internet is such a powerful tool for research just type in "Stonehenge" and "sacrifices" into your search engine to find out more. Happy hunting.  ;)

Offline OokieWonderslug

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07/07/2011 06:39:19 »
A single man lived there year round. When the winter solstice came around he would make the announcement. Then people would gather from all around and would offer gifts and party. They did this to induce the sun to start rising higher in the sky. If they did not do this it would continue to sink lower and lower and the world would be lost to darkness.

This is the origin of Christmas and Stonehenge. The site is a countdown clock to the next huge party. When the Romans brought Catholicism to England they could not end this millenia old tradition so they co opted it and gave it a new name and backstory. The dark ages came and ended the lone sentinel's watch.

I thought this was common knowledge.

Offline jbor

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09/07/2011 09:03:35 »
I thought this was common knowledge.

Talking of common knowledge, the original thread video has been expanded: It now appears to be claimed that neolithic peoples must have known that the Earth was spherical and that they recorded the knowledge at Stonehenge:

Is there a flaw in this? It'll be something obvious I should think.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #19 on: 09/07/2011 09:03:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length