The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: ?how do e-cigs work?  (Read 2086 times)

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
?how do e-cigs work?
« on: 03/07/2011 13:47:43 »
please keep this at an objective level until details emerge which can be critiqued. Whats in the juice which is vaporized? & possible consequences from using the e-cig vs cig.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
?how do e-cigs work?
« Reply #2 on: 06/07/2011 21:58:57 »
thanx! i love it when BS becomes diarrhetic. = joke
serious= whats the affect of nicotine & other chemicals be4 or after the burn vs the steam?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
?how do e-cigs work?
« Reply #3 on: 07/07/2011 00:34:30 »
One of the problems with this is the same that was found for filtered cigarettes.

It "made sense" that filtered cigarettes would be safer than the unfiltered cigarettes.

However, long-term studies have in fact shown that is not the case.  The current theory is that the extra pressure used for dragging on a filtered cigarette increases its potential harm to being equivalent, or perhaps greater than that of the unfiltered cigarette.

As far as the E-Cigs.  There are no long-term studies about their safety...  And thus any conclusions about safety would all be speculative. 

They should reduce the chemicals being inhaled into the lungs, but they also are increasing the water vapor that these are being inhaled with, as well as potentially selecting new chemicals that are not commonly found in the pulmonary system.

One other thing.  I'm not sure about the packaging and delivery system for the refills.  Burning a cigarette will sterilize the vapors being inhaled, although it does burn from the end towards the person, thus it is filtered through the rest of the (dry) cigarette.  The E-Cigs may have an aqueous environment which could promote the growth of bacteria that may not be sterilized before inhalation.  Obviously we inhale microbes, but...  this could potentially lead to respiratory disease not associated with cigarettes.

Anyway, outwardly it appears as if the E-Cigs should be safer than cigarettes, pipes, and cigars, but I doubt that has been proven.  And, anything that promotes continuing smoking is a potential problem.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2011 19:27:27 by CliffordK »

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
?how do e-cigs work?
« Reply #4 on: 07/07/2011 21:08:44 »
One of the problems with this is the same that was found for filtered cigarettes.

It "made sense" that filtered cigarettes would be safer than the unfiltered cigarettes.

However, long-term studies have in fact shown that is not the case.  The current theory is that the extra pressure used for dragging on a filtered cigarette increases its potential harm to being equivalent, or perhaps greater than that of the unfiltered cigarette.

As far as the E-Cigs.  There are no long-term studies about their safety...  And thus any conclusions about safety would all be speculative. 

They should reduce the chemicals being inhaled into the lungs, but they also are increasing the water vapor that these are being inhaled with, as well as potentially selecting new chemicals that are not commonly found in the pulmonary system.

One other thing.  I'm not sure about the packaging and delivery system for the refills.  Burning a cigarette will sterilize the vapors being inhaled, although it does burn from the end towards the person, thus it is filtered through the rest of the (dry) cigarette.  The E-Cigs may have an aqueous environment which could promote the growth of bacteria that may not be sterilized before inhalation.  Obviously we inhale microbes, but...  this could potentially lead to respiratory disease not associated with cigarettes.

Anyway, outwardly it appears as if the E-Cigs should be safer than cigarettes, pipes, and cigars, but I doubt that has been proven.  And, anything that promotes continuing smoking is a potential problem.
great! now ure analyzing & what I wanted to hear. As a smoker, I know if i salivitize the filter it gets stained & stuff aint staining my lungs as much. Ironically, this was called N-lipping in the past.

The Naked Scientists Forum

?how do e-cigs work?
« Reply #4 on: 07/07/2011 21:08:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums