The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Earthquake in the English Channel?  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Earthquake in the English Channel?
« on: 14/07/2011 13:48:07 »
Yes its true, just before 8am this morning a quake measuring 3.9 on the Richter scale occurred in the middle of the English Channel. The epicentre of the quake was 85km southeast of Portsmouth.

Quote from: David Kerridge, British Geological Survey
This is the largest earthquake in this area since a magnitude 4.5 event in 1734. Historically, there have been two other significant events nearby - a magnitude 5.0 earthquake in 1878 and a magnitude 4.3 earthquake in 1750.

Hmmm...... So its not the 'largest earthquake since 1734', its the largest since 1878. Mr Kerridge appears to be having either a few chronological problems or his mathematics need a little polishing.

Apparently, no damage was done along the Hampshire or Sussex coast line, but in Kent, several thousand pounds worth of improvements occurred in Margate. I wonder if was actually Rupert Murdoch dropping his wallet full of dosh when he had to withdraw his bid for B Sky B???

Now, there is something very significant about this. The quake in 1878 measured 5.0 on the Richter Scale. Charles Francis Richter was born in Hamilton, Ohio in 1900. Along with Beno Gutenberg (born Darmstadt, Germany 1889) he developed the Richter Scale at the California Institute of Technology in 1935.

It seems obvious to me that the Richter scale was nothing but a smoke screen for the real research they had carried out, which led to the Gutenberg Zeitmaschine! They have let the cat out of bag by measring the magnitude of quakes which occurred before the development of the Richter Scale.  ::)
« Last Edit: 14/07/2011 13:50:03 by Don_1 »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #1 on: 14/07/2011 13:56:29 »
Before I am berated for the above, I do realise the MMS is now used to measure quakes, but that doesn't work as well as the Richter Scale, when you wish to be daft.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2011 23:23:12 »
Don, do you really need a reason to be daft?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 17/08/2011 16:36:12 »
Don, do you really need a reason to be daft?

Point taken.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 17/08/2011 16:36:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length