The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: ghost  (Read 2650 times)

Offline moccacake

• View Profile
ghost
« on: 20/04/2006 15:18:45 »
does anyone have an answer to this? do jews, hindus or muslims have ghost experieces as well? or is this just a christian thing?

another_someone

Re: ghost
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2006 15:52:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by moccacake

does anyone have an answer to this? do jews, hindus or muslims have ghost experieces as well? or is this just a christian thing?

Although I am of a Jewish family, not one that has ever had anything to do with ghosts, so I cannot really answer the question directly.

On the other hand, I would have thought that many animalists in Africa would believe strongly in spirits and ghost like apparitions.

George

Offline harryneild

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2006 16:59:11 »
In the Qu'ran there are supernatural beings called Jiin which are very similar to ghosts.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">For the ancient Semites, jinn were spirits of vanished ancient peoples who acted during the night and disappeared with the first light of dawn; they could make themselves invisible or change shape into animals at will; these spirits were commonly believed to be responsible for diseases and for the manias of some lunatics. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

They are however, more often portrayed as Genies such as that in Alladin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinn

"Knowledge has to be improved, challenged, and increased constantly, or it vanishes." Peter F. Drucker
« Last Edit: 05/04/2007 22:09:04 by harryneild »

Offline Laith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20/04/2006 19:00:24 »
Im christian but i was born and lived in a muslim country (Jordan) for a long time, i know that muslims believe in jin.
from what i know they also believe there's 2 kinds of jin, good and bad, it's also said in the Quran that humans are higher in status than jin and are even more powerful so people shouldnt be afraid from it, instead they should read verses from the Quran and that would kick the jin away.

I find it strange that ghosts or spirits are mentioned in almost every culture, and i have heard stories from friends who say they encountered ones before and even their parents say its true, yet i never saw one, and it has never been proved, could it be just from our brain or is there something? i'd like to know what you guys think.

Laith
« Last Edit: 20/04/2006 19:11:17 by Laith »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 20/04/2006 19:00:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums