The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does blood pressure affect itchiness of mosquito bites?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
Here in the Pacific Northwest Mosquitoes are becoming quite prevalent as the weather warms. Over the past several days I have noticed that approximately 10-30 minutes before I usually wake up my bug bites from the previous day really begin to itch. My only guess is that this is somehow connected to my body trying to wake me up at the end of R.E.M. sleep. Does this seem like a step towards the correct answer? And if so, would it be something related to blood pressure or heart rate increase?
« Last Edit: 12/08/2011 21:53:22 by chris »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Does blood pressure affect itchiness of mosquito bites?
« Reply #1 on: 25/07/2011 10:11:14 »
Bill - could it be temperature related?  ie bites take a few hours to get ready to itch and then all kick off when the ambient temperature reaches a certain level

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/07/2011 04:46:00 »
I doubt it, I've received these bites at temperatures 10 C apart, and from right when i get up to right before i go to bed. It might be body temperature, i don't know how much human body temperature fluctuates during sleep. I feel inclined to think it is from some sort of internal influence.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 30/07/2011 04:46:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums