The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: My Project  (Read 8693 times)

Offline stargater07

• First timers
    • View Profile
My Project
« on: 21/04/2006 20:54:08 »
please delete this thread
« Last Edit: 08/07/2006 11:56:07 by stargater07 »

another_someone

Re: My Project
« Reply #1 on: 21/04/2006 22:33:51 »
Very glitzy, not very informative, not very friendly to those with visual impairments, and not very useful for those with slow dial-up connections.

More text, more links, less graphics per page, and use alt text when you use graphics so that people who are using text only browsers can still use the site.

Having visuals that are constantly changing does not make it any easier to see what you are looking at and for those who are slow readers, they will not read it at all, and for those with text only browsers, the cannot read it at all.

George

Offline stargater07

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/04/2006 22:43:14 »
« Last Edit: 08/07/2006 11:56:30 by stargater07 »

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/04/2006 22:51:23 »
What an clever bit of internet marketing you certainly got some takers well one anyway. ;)

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2006 23:21:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by Hadrian

What an clever bit of internet marketing you certainly got some takers well one anyway. ;)

obviously he wasn't clever enough.:)

Any opinions  as to what I should do with this blatant shameless barefaced attempt at gaining a bit of free advertising.

Michael

Offline stargater07

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/04/2006 23:37:40 »
check out the website? :)

Offline stargater07

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/04/2006 23:38:56 »
But you are all clever scientists so where better to ask for advice?

another_someone

« Reply #7 on: 22/04/2006 00:09:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by stargater07

what about my catalogue - devonlightingcentre.net/catalog/index.php

Certainly a lot better (even have alt text on the key images, and no Macromedia flash).

Could do something about the spacing a bit.

The key area is the menu you have in the top left, but it is a bit cramped (ok, I do use rather large fonts on my browser my eyesight is not as keen as it once was).

It also took a little experimentation to work out what your fonts and other indicators meant.  It all makes sense, but not intuitive to someone on first entering the sight.  What I mean is your use of '->' to indicate that sub-categories existed, the use of bold text both to indicate the top level category selected and the sub-level category selected (could you not have found a different way of signifying the sub-level?).  This is made worse because of the cramped space, which meant that the text wrapped within the line, and this meant that the indentation was not obvious.  Had the text not wrapped, it might have been more obvious.

Another minor issue is the on the top right hand side of the page, where you have the 'My Account', 'cart contents', and 'checkout'.  You have this both as a text, and as a graphic icon.  I imagine that on your browser, with your choice of font, and your choice of window size, the text and icons are meant to line up one underneath the other.  They certainly do not on my choice of fonts and window size.

Also, some of the enlarged images don't size very well.  I am thinging at present of devonlightingcentre.net/catalog/images/chaoslamp.jpg, which is 1075 pixels in height, and very few people are going to fit that into their browser window (and this is made worse by the fact that you have disabled scrolling on that window, so one cannot even scroll down to see the bottom of the image).  It is not that important, since all you are missing is the bottom of the lamp stand, but it just looks a little amateur.

There are a lot of sites I have seen that are a lot worse, so none of this is serious criticism (a great improvement over the initial site), but could yet be improved upon (but then, I always was a perfectionist).

One last little thing and this is maybe something that is a personal judgement; but I am not particularly keen on graphic buttons.  I know that graphic buttons give you a great deal more flexibility in the look and feel of the buttons you use, and I don't really like the built-in buttons you get with the <INPUT TYPE=BUTTON...> tags.  My own preference (and it is a personal thing) is to use hypertext links that have their appearance changed using stylesheets.

The reason I don't like graphic buttons is twofold.  Firstly, in general, I do not like the use of graphics where they are not relevant (albeit, the size of the button graphics is minuscule, so download times are not that serious an issue).  My bigger concern is that you cannot alter the size of the text on the buttons.  My own browser of choice is FireFox, and one of the things I do like about it is the ability to readily scale up, and scale down, the fonts on the web page (and so, if I can't read something clearly, I just press CNTRL/+ to scale up the font), but where graphic buttons are used, the font is determined by the graphic designer, and cannot be scaled up by the browser.

Clearly, this solution has its own drawbacks, particularly when being viewed on a browser that does not support stylesheets; but since your site already assumed both stylesheets and javascript, it is clear that you have not designed the site to support the earliest of browsers.

quote:
What an clever bit of internet marketing you certainly got some takers well one anyway ;)

Don't think so for a moment I was too busy looking at the technical aspects of the site to worry about what it was actually selling :)

George
« Last Edit: 22/04/2006 00:57:18 by another_someone »

Offline stargater07

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22/04/2006 07:57:56 »
Thanks another_someone

I will make sure i change the image size.

Jason

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #9 on: 23/04/2006 11:04:56 »
Dear Jason / Stargater07

I'm not sure how everyone else feels here, but I'm beginning to form the impression that the number of links to devonlightingcentre.net, and invites to check it out, is becoming tiresome and bordering on shameless self promotion, otherwise known as SPAM.

Do you think you could do something about it, please? Thanks,

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25/04/2006 00:11:09 »
Have to agree with you Chris. This is the oldest trick in the internet book of scam marketing. It is surprising how some people still fall for it. [:0]

another_someone

« Reply #11 on: 25/04/2006 00:49:28 »
quote:
Have to agree with you Chris. This is the oldest trick in the internet book of scam marketing. It is surprising how some people still fall for it. [:0]

Can only have been said to have succeeded if he had made a sale from it.[8D]

He got some free consultancy that is all well, I suppose that is something. [}:)]

George

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27/04/2006 08:37:33 »
Not quite. The web is driven by links these days, and where better to obtain some free links from a high-ranking site than by peppering a forum, where you can sprinkle them ad-lib, to your hearts content.

The last time someone tried this I locked the user, neutralised all the links (by removing the anchor tag) but left  on this site all of their content-rich pages designed to push users to the marketing site they were promoting. The result was that we rank more highly on google for their key-phrases than they do.

So be warned spammers...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27/04/2006 16:30:55 »
*le sigh*

I'm feeling particularly vulnerable & gullible today and am pleased, for my wallets sake, that the link to the novelty website is gone. I would have quite easily have succumbed and spent a few hundred pounds there, nay, perhaps thousands ;)

Thank you Chris

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27/04/2006 17:12:42 »

Well done. It is this sort of actively that gives the internet a bad name.

Offline time-cop

• Making tomorrow safe today .
    • View Profile
    • malta-site.com
« Reply #15 on: 28/04/2006 02:40:38 »
neil found one for you,www.noveltiesforgulliblemillionaires.com

http://www.armybarmy.org
« Last Edit: 28/04/2006 02:41:22 by time-cop »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28/04/2006 03:46:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by time-cop

neil found one for you,www.noveltiesforgulliblemillionaires.com

:DLOLOLOL..THANKS RAY !!...I almost woke the household with my loud laughter..

...the thing is...even knowing that you made it up I still had to click the link !!..how sad is that ?...I bet others will too....how about this one.......

www.dontclickhere.com     ....oh For heavens Sake !!!...would you believe it's a real site !! !

« Last Edit: 28/04/2006 03:46:33 by neilep »

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28/04/2006 04:30:52 »
quote:

www.dontclickhere.com ....oh For heavens Sake !!!...would you believe it's a real site !! !

OH MY GOD!  I can't believe I clicked "here".  

[:0]

Carolyn
« Last Edit: 28/04/2006 04:32:15 by Carolyn »

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28/04/2006 10:02:22 »

Of course who in the right mind would http://www.clickhere.com/

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28/04/2006 16:58:48 »
quote:

Of course who in the right mind would http://www.clickhere.com/

I did...I just had to...:)

Offline time-cop

• Making tomorrow safe today .
    • View Profile
    • malta-site.com
« Reply #20 on: 30/04/2006 01:00:00 »
carolyn,found this for you http://www.pestproducts.com/snakeaway1.htmor you can get the queen to sing loudly in your garden on her next state visit[:p]

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30/04/2006 04:37:18 »
quote:

carolyn,found this for you http://www.pestproducts.com/snakeaway1.htmor you can get the queen to sing loudly in your garden on her next state visit[:p]

I think it's really cool that we can buy a tank from Ray !!..Thanks Mate...[8D]

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30/04/2006 05:09:40 »
quote:

Thanks Ray!!  I've used this product before with good results, but I've not been able to find it locally for about 2 years.  Thanks for the website.  

Carolyn

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #23 on: 10/05/2006 12:56:54 »
Hey Carolyn, I wonder if this product will work on people?  I can think of a few who fit in this category?

"Lo" Loretta

Offline stargater07

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08/07/2006 11:55:10 »
sorry for spamming, it was my first website and i had no other way (at the time to promote it and spread the word)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 08/07/2006 11:55:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length