The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Do Paint Scratch Removers Work ?  (Read 18421 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
How Do Paint Scratch Removers Work ?
« on: 28/07/2011 13:14:16 »
Dearest Scratchologists,

As ewe all well know...the absolute best thing ever about being on holiday from work is that your car remains in your drive for your child to scratch with their scooter !!..grrrrrrrrrrrr !!!

Please to be viewing the below piccy

The Piccy That I asked Ewe To View Above

I have highlighted the scratch as I know that wheelie bins and scratches (especially when reflected in a car) can cause confusion !

So, here's what I want to ask . I've been told that some (T-Cut*) will help me here !

How Does This Scratch Removing Stuff Work ?..And How Does It Restore Colour Where The Colour Has Been Removed ?

You're assistance would be so helpful that I'll Bake Ewe A Cakey !

Hugs & Shmsihes

mwah mwah

Neil
Owner Of A Scratched Car !
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

* Please note other scratch removers are also available but if *T-Cut wish for me to remove this reference that highlights the competition then a credit to my account of only £1000000 will do nicely

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28/07/2011 20:28:28 »
I always thought a few scratches add character to the vehicle.

I think I would recommend trying some scratch repairs on your kid's Tonka Toy before doing it on your car.  Do they still make Tonka Toys out of metal?

It appears as if there are 4 methods of doing scratch repair.
1) filling scratch with factory matching paint.
2) filling scratch with a wax-like crayon of matching color (turtle wax)
3) rubbing the scratch out, perhaps recovering paint material from nearby, however, probably works best on partial thickness scratches (T-Cut)  However, T-Cut also seems to contain some color.
4) repainting the entire panel.

My first question is whether these fixes are permanent, and how they will endure over time.

Many new vehicles have a clear coat on top of the paint.  I'd worry about an aggressive scratch removing technique messing with the clear coat, and thus, after the wax fades, you could be left with a large rubbing spot.

Depending on your needs, you might want to first talk to a body shop, see what they use, and how many years worth of allowance deductions it will take for your kid to pay for it.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 29/07/2011 08:30:21 »
I'm not so sure that T-cut will do anything much about that scratch. Even a colour code polish (polish, not Polish) might not cover that one. Seek your local graffiti artist and pinch his can of spray paint.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/07/2011 19:10:47 »
Assuming T-Cut is still what it was thirty years ago, it's just a very abrasive polish, or cutting compound. It will cut right through the colour coat and get you down to the primer in no time, so be very careful with it.

It looks like those scratches are into the primer under the colour coat. If they are, you won't be able to polish them out. To find out, try a much less abrasive polish on a little piece of the scratch and see if you can make it any better. If it was caused by contact with plastic, I don't think it should be to hard to remove it.

However, I did see a product in a auto supply place recently that claimed to be able to deal with a problem like this. There is a coat of transparent "varnish" (called clearcoat) on top of the colour coat on modern cars. If your scratch is only in the clearcoat I think this stuff can fix it. No idea what it's called though. Anybody?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/07/2011 19:13:29 »
Seek your local graffiti artist and pinch his can of spray paint.

Excellent Idea.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29/07/2011 20:05:14 »
That door scratch looks too deep for T-cut. Looks like a job for a "go-faster stripe"  :) ...

« Last Edit: 29/07/2011 20:28:45 by RD »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30/07/2011 15:05:01 »
I always thought a few scratches add character to the vehicle.

I think I would recommend trying some scratch repairs on your kid's Tonka Toy before doing it on your car.  Do they still make Tonka Toys out of metal?

It appears as if there are 4 methods of doing scratch repair.
1) filling scratch with factory matching paint.
2) filling scratch with a wax-like crayon of matching color (turtle wax)
3) rubbing the scratch out, perhaps recovering paint material from nearby, however, probably works best on partial thickness scratches (T-Cut)  However, T-Cut also seems to contain some color.
4) repainting the entire panel.

My first question is whether these fixes are permanent, and how they will endure over time.

Many new vehicles have a clear coat on top of the paint.  I'd worry about an aggressive scratch removing technique messing with the clear coat, and thus, after the wax fades, you could be left with a large rubbing spot.

Depending on your needs, you might want to first talk to a body shop, see what they use, and how many years worth of allowance deductions it will take for your kid to pay for it.

Thank ewe so much CliffordK I do apprecaiet your kind comments and will do as ewe suggest. I'll take wifey to a body shop and see what they can do for her  ;D...as far as my kid paying for it!...I can't charge my kid....but I will use her scooter for a day or two !  ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30/07/2011 15:08:04 »
Assuming T-Cut is still what it was thirty years ago, it's just a very abrasive polish, or cutting compound. It will cut right through the colour coat and get you down to the primer in no time, so be very careful with it.

It looks like those scratches are into the primer under the colour coat. If they are, you won't be able to polish them out. To find out, try a much less abrasive polish on a little piece of the scratch and see if you can make it any better. If it was caused by contact with plastic, I don't think it should be to hard to remove it.

However, I did see a product in a auto supply place recently that claimed to be able to deal with a problem like this. There is a coat of transparent "varnish" (called clearcoat) on top of the colour coat on modern cars. If your scratch is only in the clearcoat I think this stuff can fix it. No idea what it's called though. Anybody?

Thanks so much Geezer ! The scratch was caused by the metal handle of my kids scooter !....The car is 6 years old and I doubt there si any clearcoat (if they used it in 2005) is still on it !

I do appreciate your advice though....thanks Dr Geezer.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30/07/2011 15:09:08 »
Seek your local graffiti artist and pinch his can of spray paint.

Excellent Idea.

LOL...maybe I'll get them to practice on the wifes car first !...I'm sure she'd be happy !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30/07/2011 15:09:53 »
That door scratch looks too deep for T-cut. Looks like a job for a "go-faster stripe"  :) ...

That's more like it !...a go faster Sheepy Stripe !..thanks RD !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 30/07/2011 15:09:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums