The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Future predetermined in stars?  (Read 3584 times)

Offline laimigaaa

• First timers
    • View Profile
Future predetermined in stars?
« on: 29/07/2011 02:59:07 »
Hey all i am new here...i was reading this thread on predetermined future, and it got me thinking what if we live out all the possibilities of different outcomes, what if there has been universe after universe, earth after earth, life after life like an ultimate reality. i know i am probably not making sense with this scientifically, but think about it. what if we fail to reach the goal (whatever it may be, the perfect string of events) each time and until we do we keep living our lives again and again, not having any recollection of it, just the deja vu. Think, what if this was not the first time universe had a big bang? What got me thinking about predetermined future was by reading a horoscope and somehow piece by piece day turns out 50 to 75% accurately predicted by something that has been observed from the movements of planets in universe. ???? What do you think? This is really a raw thought!

Offline laimigaaa

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29/07/2011 03:03:17 »
before i wrote this i read this post in forum  - Is our future predetermined? Destiny - Can you prove it scientifically. by Vlad

vlad2010

Link to this post 308326
03/05/2010 05:26:52

Hello everyone my name is Vlad from North Carolina and this is my first post here, I am not any type of science major but all sciences fascinate me. Please note this is an idea I had 30 minutes ago and really struggling to work it out, any help toward disproving, proving, adding to the idea, etc, would help.

Quick story: I was driving home from work and thought about destiny (am I destined to crash tonight type of thinking). The main question was, "is our life set on a predetermined course?" I thought man...I get a lot of philosophical answers about this but no real scientific, concrete, it can be proven answers. I started to think about time dilation and thought to myself about the GPS satellites in orbit and how they have to be adjusted a billionth of a second back due to Einsteins theory of relativity.

I thought a bit more about it and thought WHAT IF..there was no such theory of relativity, time did not change at all regardless of the mass of object you are near or speed it is traveling at...I thought, what would happen in this make believe universe? I am more than likely wrong but I thought that if time was constant regardless of location or speed of object than any "cause" (cause/effect) would cause an immediate effect all throughout the make believe universe at the very same time, leaving no time for options of different outcomes.

Anyway... I am thinking that time dilation is the buffer between everything which allows for alternative outcomes to happen for various "causes" (cause/effect). Basically the idea is that time dilation is the reason for an infinite amount of possible outcomes to occur...some how...still thinking...please help.

Thanks for your time, hope I didn't bore you and make you lose all hope in humanity after this post.

Vlad

Offline Mr. Data

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/07/2011 03:34:38 »
The future does not predetermine reality. There is only an eternal present which determines everything.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/07/2011 03:55:56 »
What I find a little humorous about all this astrology is that it is based on the stars we can see with the naked eye.  You have to feel sorry for these folk when good old Galileo pointed his telescope towards the heavens.  I wonder what these people think about the fact that there are billions of stars in our Galaxy alone?  I would like to see them try and do a star chart on that!!

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/07/2011 04:19:55 »
Much of astrology is about positive thinking, and telling people what they want to hear, and making general predictions that could come true no matter what.

Consider having a friend randomly mix predictions, giving you the "correct" prediction half the time, and randomly choosing a prediction from another symbol half the time.  See how many times the "wrong" prediction seems appropriate.

There may be a minor influence of birth season.  For example, depending on when you were born, you may be a year older or younger than your peers in school.  And, developmental milestones may occur at either in the summer or winter.  In the southern hemisphere, one would expect the seasonal bias to be shifted vs the months.

As far as things being predetermined.  Certainly your education and environment may help influence how you will respond to certain situations.  But, that doesn't mean that you lack free will.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 29/07/2011 08:13:38 »
Astrology is NOT a science. It is the dregs of bunkum from the dark ages. Those who believe in astrology are only fooling themselves, while the astrologists are making a packet out of the fears and superstitions of the vulnerable and gullible.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/08/2011 03:53:53 »
I would make a great astrologist, here is an example:

Today your going to wake up feeling like you have been asleep.   ;D

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #7 on: 17/08/2011 15:30:29 »
OMG!!!!

You were right! You are trully a great arstrologer.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17/08/2011 21:14:56 »
I don't believe in astrology, but that's because I'm a Sagittarius.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 17/08/2011 21:14:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums