The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How far does the sun travel south during the southern Summer  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Adstar

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hello all

As the topic heading states. How far does the sun travel south during the southern summer. I would prefer the answer to show a city/town type location that i can locate of google maps. You can give me an answer in latitude if you like.

Thanks

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
How far does the sun travel south during the southern Summer
« Reply #1 on: 29/07/2011 11:31:17 »
Hello Adstar - welcome.

Not quite sure what you mean by your question.  If you mean the most southerly place the sun is directly overhead - then it is the tropic of capricorn.  The two tropics, cancer in the north and capricorn in the south, are defined as the circles furthest from the equator where the sun at its zenith on the solstice is directly over head.  Nowhere north of t of cancer or south of t of capricorn is the sun straight up on any day of the year

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #2 on: 03/08/2011 09:58:33 »
As you can see from any globe the tropic of Capriciorn runs  about 2/3 the way up Australia the southern tip of Madagascar and the northern edge of South Africa in Africa and the northern edge of Argentina in South America.

Offline simplified

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/08/2011 17:48:22 »
Hello all

As the topic heading states. How far does the sun travel south during the southern summer. I would prefer the answer to show a city/town type location that i can locate of google maps. You can give me an answer in latitude if you like.

Thanks

I think Aswan is north border - 2405'20"N
Then south border - 2405'20"S
« Last Edit: 03/08/2011 17:51:33 by simplified »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/08/2011 17:55:17 »
Hello all

Thanks

I shink Aswan is north border - 2405'20"N

Aswan is close to the tropic of cancer - but not exact.  In fact I shouldnt say exact - the topics can vary position by a fair portion of an arcminute every year

Offline simplified

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/08/2011 18:35:38 »
Hello all

Thanks

I shink Aswan is north border - 2405'20"N

Aswan is close to the tropic of cancer - but not exact.  In fact I shouldnt say exact - the topics can vary position by a fair portion of an arcminute every year

I have used time of Eratosthenes,therefore wrong. ::)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/08/2011 19:03:40 »
Here is an interesting app I found a while ago.

Daylight Calculator.  Put in the latitude, and it gives a nice graph of the number of hours in the day.

http://astro.unl.edu/classaction/animations/coordsmotion/daylighthoursexplorer.html

I know it is a slightly different question, but related.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/08/2011 19:04:03 »
Simplified - i thought that might be where you were getting it from.   ;D

I read a critique of that experiment, it implied that the results might have been severely manipulated by modern sources to bring the conclusion into line with modern measurement techniques.  Will see if I can dig out from memory where it was.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 03/08/2011 19:04:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums