The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: alpha centauri  (Read 4010 times)

Offline moccacake

• View Profile
alpha centauri
« on: 22/04/2006 22:23:10 »
does alpha centauri have planets?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: alpha centauri
« Reply #1 on: 22/04/2006 23:45:54 »
I don't think any have been detected to date but as it is part of a multiple star it is quite probable that any planets have been ejected from the system, absorbed by the star or still in the form of small debris.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #2 on: 23/04/2006 00:01:39 »
No I don't believe so but it is possible there could be a few in stable orbits even though it is a triple star system containing two sun like and one red dwarf stars.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/050713_triple_sun.html

Centauri A the largest ofthe three is also believed to be an almost identical match to our sun in age,size colour temperature etc but i believe there has been a recent study that may change that.

I would have thought they would have known if their were any planets there by now as it is the closet star system to our own but maybe the gravitational forces of the three stars make any planet hard to detect through star wobble, and the only other way i believe is through star light dimming which can only be used if a planet passes directly between us and its star.

Michael
« Last Edit: 23/04/2006 00:11:28 by ukmicky »

Offline RRR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/04/2006 14:35:01 »
I suppose that all stars have satellits and planets.
Star's systems are appeared from  the space's Nebulas. A star take the most part of the Nebula's matter. From an other part of the  matter there is an appearance of  planets, comets around the star.
==============
Moccacake wrote:
"does alpha centauri have planets?"

I have not doubts.  The star must have any planets and satellits.  
=======================
I suppose that  a lot of  planets can be around the Sirius star.
The Sirius is much more massive  than the Sun and  therefore the attraction's area of  the Sirius it is much more big than the Sun's  area.

The Solar system  have 9 basic planets.
My  supposition that the Sirius system can have about 15-20 basic planets.

Sirius is one of the nearest stars to the Solar system. A distance between Sirius and Solar system it  is about 9 light years.
=================================
Some folklore tales of different nations
did say that the nation's ancestors did arrive from the Sirius system.
==================================

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #4 on: 24/04/2006 10:10:19 »
Sirius is also a double star as are many other stars and therefore the area of long term stable orbits around the star are severely limited it is also a brighter star with a significantly shorter life than the sun athough I don't know how far through that life it is.  Because its companion is a white dwarf (a medium mass star that has already gone through a nova and planetary nebula phase) there is a fair chance that sirius itself has not all that far to go before it gets a lot brighter!  It is also likely that any planets around Sirius have been well and truly fried  when sirius B went through its asymptotic giant phase.

http://homepage.sunrise.ch/homepage/schatzer/Alpha-Centauri.html

Suggests that the stable area for planets around either companion of alpha centauri is not much bigger than the orbit of Mars so although it is theoretically possible there is not much room and there are many better candidates for serious planet searches.

To get a planet with well developed life it neets to be in a system that is reasonably stable for a long period of time.  It can be a pretty violent place out there and the earth has probably been very lucky even though in the geological period since complex life appeared (around 500 million years) there have been quite a few 70% - 95% extinction events.  There is every reason to believe that simple life has existed on the earth for around 4000 million years and its quite probable that before 500 million years ago things were just to violent in our solar system for complex life to have evolved before the next major extinction.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Offline RRR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25/04/2006 08:34:54 »
Yes , Sirius is double star.
White dwarf Sirius B turns itself around Sirius A with a period of 1 round  per 50 years.
It is possible that Sirius B has a lot of satellits. Planets can turn itselves around Sirius B with a period of 1/2, 1, 2, 5 years like the Earth, Venus, Mars, Mercury  etc.  It is possible.
Some planets can have oceans and atmosphere of O2.
It is possible that Sirius A  has a lot of satellits. The planets can turn itselves around Sirius A with a period of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 years etc like Mars, Jupiter, Earth, etc.

A lot of planets can have system of moons.
It is possible an existence of double planets when a moon is equal with mass to chief planet of planet's  system. Big moons can have an atmosphere.
=================================
Soul Surfer wrote:
To get a planet with well developed life it neets to be in a system that is reasonably stable for a long period of time.

Any system can not be stable forever.
The Solar system will be not stable forever.
All systems of Universe's stars and Universe's live organisms and societies the systems and organisms are provisional.
They appear,a part of time they live and after they die.
=============================================
Soul surfer wrote:
"There is every reason to believe that simple life has existed on the earth for around 4000 million years"

A life did appear with an appearance of oceans.
About an appearance of life 4000 millions years ago there are not serious
facts to prove the supposition.
========================================
Soul surfer wrote:
that before 500 million years ago things were just to violent in our solar system for complex life .

No, it is not true.
Conditions during the Proterozoic era(2500-542 million years ago)there were comfortable conditions for complex life. There were a water,an air with an oxygen, oceans and rivers.

Violent bad conditions for a part of organisms the conditions can be very
comfortable for an other part of organisms.
For example, a very cold weather is comfortable conditions  for a walrus, but the cold is deadly bad conditions for an elephant.
=====================================
« Last Edit: 25/04/2006 08:45:13 by RRR »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 25/04/2006 08:34:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums