The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could Mount Etna's eruption set clocks 15 minutes fast?  (Read 3730 times)

Offline steelrat1

• View Profile
ok this is a bit of a puzzle can we blame the volcano? as thousands noticed that their clocks were running 15 minutes fast. The fast forward time keeping has affected a wide spectrum of digital clocks and watches - from computers through to alarm clocks. was it due to the quartz crystal oscillators in the clocks with very precise frequency 32,768 Hz some how getting zapped by a natural "EMP" electromagnetic pulse?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2013145/Mount-Etna-eruption-closes-airports-knocks-clocks-15-minutes-fast.html#ixzz1Tlu1RV6s [nofollow]
« Last Edit: 02/08/2011 22:15:19 by chris »

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Could Mount Etna's eruption set clocks 15 minutes fast?
« Reply #1 on: 01/08/2011 15:39:50 »
Seeing as their source appears to be "a facebook page," I'm wondering if the cause is poor fact-checking on the part of reporters.   :)

In theory, magnetic effects from the eruption could mess with electronics, but it would have to be pretty powerful and very precise in order to effect only digital clocks by setting them ahead 15 minutes.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/08/2011 16:21:14 »
Actually for the Daily Mail reporters this level of fact-checking isn't bad - normally, there isn't even a facebook page!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/08/2011 17:19:15 »
Actually for the Daily Mail reporters this level of fact-checking isn't bad - normally, there isn't even a facebook page!

;D ;D

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/08/2011 19:48:38 »
I was moved to check the clock on my computer and was surprised to find it out by 90 seconds, I have a simple explanation for this I have been experimenting with a mini Linux system loaded from a USB dongle (see Geek speak)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/08/2011 09:02:31 »
No, sorry Syphrum, Mount Etna agaqin..

In fact I believe that Fox news has set up a universal clock controller by now, called 'Tick Tack'. As they are known for their scientific investigate journalism and utter trustworthiness, we now, at last can lay our unrest to bed. Both the Daily mail and Deniers Ahoy are watching, with Fox news laying out the strategy. No Volcanoes will take over our time as long as they are on watch..

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/08/2011 09:16:11 »
Isn't Aftonbladet in charge of that?
« Last Edit: 02/08/2011 09:19:12 by Geezer »

Offline Phractality

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/08/2011 11:26:25 »
This is a rumor started on facebook by some guy in Messina whose girlfriend dumped him for being 15 minutes late for a date.

Offline damocles

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/08/2011 15:21:38 »
This is a rumor started on facebook by some guy in Messina whose girlfriend dumped him for being 15 minutes late for a date.

Most lame excuse I ever heard -- that effect should have made him 15 minutes EARLY!

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/08/2011 16:37:30 »

Most lame excuse I ever heard -- that effect should have made him 15 minutes EARLY!

Still more likely than the explanation put forward by the daily mail

Offline Phractality

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03/08/2011 03:04:17 »

No; he wanted to convince his girlfriend that she and everybody else was 15 minutes early, whereas he showed up on time because he had an old fashioned mechanical wrist watch.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 03/08/2011 03:04:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums