The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If I Rotated My Eyes 180 Would I See The World Upside Down ?  (Read 6124 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Peeps With Degrees In Eyeology,

As a sheepy I of course have eyes, Having eyes is my all time favourite thing with regard to looking at stuff !

Look, here I am looking at stuff !

Me Looking At Stuff !

Thank ewe eyes for making this possible and well done to the person who invented eyes !.....What If I took my eyes out, rotated them through 180 degrees and replaced them ?...would the image I view be flipped upside down ?...cos when I attend my Handstand Club...we conduct ourselves upside down !

whajafink ?

Hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Upside Down Eye Investigator
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
If I Rotated My Eyes 180 Would I See The World Upside Down ?
« Reply #1 on: 02/08/2011 13:59:47 »
Dave and Ben did a slightly less torture-like experiment where Dave or Ben (was it dave or was it ben, children?) wore prismatic glasses that changed the angle of vision.  I seem to remember that after a fairly short time they had adapted and could throw and catch.  And when the glasses were removed there was a period of re-adaptation to normality.  will dig out the link. 

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/content/kitchenscience/nature/exp/motor-learning/

i think your brain would sort it out and you wouldn't notice.  let's face it the image we perceived internally isn't a nice clean singular image; its two upside down images sent to the opposing sides of the brain.  it takes a lot of processing to get to what we consider as normal - and I would have thought that the brain would have the plasticity to process to a similar result from a different set of inputs.
« Last Edit: 02/08/2011 14:07:06 by imatfaal »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/08/2011 14:45:18 »
Dave and Ben did a slightly less torture-like experiment where Dave or Ben (was it dave or was it ben, children?) wore prismatic glasses that changed the angle of vision.  I seem to remember that after a fairly short time they had adapted and could throw and catch.  And when the glasses were removed there was a period of re-adaptation to normality.  will dig out the link. 

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/content/kitchenscience/nature/exp/motor-learning/

i think your brain would sort it out and you wouldn't notice.  let's face it the image we perceived internally isn't a nice clean singular image; its two upside down images sent to the opposing sides of the brain.  it takes a lot of processing to get to what we consider as normal - and I would have thought that the brain would have the plasticity to process to a similar result from a different set of inputs.

Thank ewe so much for this very interesting response and for the link where Dave and Ben are playing with a ball !  ;D

I wonder then with all the processing done by the brain to interpret the data it receives and display it so that we can ' manage ' in our world....Could this be an evolutionary faux pas to do with the eyes and the brain ?..why make the eyes so that they " see " things upside down ?...or is the brain "seeing".... ?..In any case...why not evolve so that vital brain power is not wasted having to put our world the right way up  ?!...in other words...why see the world upside down in the first place ?

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/08/2011 22:04:34 »
It wasn't intelligently designed, it evolved that way.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/08/2011 00:17:59 »
It wasn't intelligently designed, it evolved that way.

Perhaps it was unintelligently designed !  ;)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/08/2011 01:43:35 »
It really doesn't make the brain work any harder which way it is once it has learned up from down.

What is a bit weirdyful and have agreatlargymount science brainyfolks deepworry is why the leftyside eyeballys are connected to the rightyside brainymold and versyviceyforth if you beholdylarge my thinky.

(Apologies to Stanley Unwin.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Unwin_(comedian)#Some_phrases_from_Unwinese
« Last Edit: 03/08/2011 01:51:03 by Geezer »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #6 on: 03/08/2011 08:37:18 »
I think Stanley would have been pleased with you effort there Geezer. In fact it could have been writypenmould by the great man himself.

Go to the top of class.

Now then Mr Sheepseyeballs, (a delecacy in some parts of the world, I am led to understand, though the eyedea doesn't appeal to me) (sorry about the cornea pun) the thing with these here lenses, such as those in your eye or a camera, is that the light passing through gets turned upside down. That's just the way it is, not a deseyegn fault. To turn it back up the right way again, you would need a second lens or prism. This would mean a much larger eye to accomodate the second lens.

Mummsy nature thought it would be a better eyedea idea to just let the old brain box sort it out. This means that the grey matter in your bonce can sort out how you see stuff even if your head is tilted, or has been put on the wrong way up.
« Last Edit: 03/08/2011 08:39:31 by Don_1 »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/08/2011 10:51:41 »
It really doesn't make the brain work any harder which way it is once it has learned up from down.

What is a bit weirdyful and have agreatlargymount science brainyfolks deepworry is why the leftyside eyeballys are connected to the rightyside brainymold and versyviceyforth if you beholdylarge my thinky.

(Apologies to Stanley Unwin.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Unwin_(comedian)#Some_phrases_from_Unwinese

As George Bush would say...I am indebtified for your responsifying to my question. You have answerated it and I understanderise it.  Thanks Geezer

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/08/2011 11:09:10 »
I think Stanley would have been pleased with you effort there Geezer. In fact it could have been writypenmould by the great man himself.

Go to the top of class.

Now then Mr Sheepseyeballs, (a delecacy in some parts of the world, I am led to understand, though the eyedea doesn't appeal to me) (sorry about the cornea pun) the thing with these here lenses, such as those in your eye or a camera, is that the light passing through gets turned upside down. That's just the way it is, not a deseyegn fault. To turn it back up the right way again, you would need a second lens or prism. This would mean a much larger eye to accomodate the second lens.

Mummsy nature thought it would be a better eyedea idea to just let the old brain box sort it out. This means that the grey matter in your bonce can sort out how you see stuff even if your head is tilted, or has been put on the wrong way up.

Thank ewe very muchly Don1

Eye see what ewe mean. Ewe clearly are a visionary when it comes to this subject such is your insight. Ewe can imageine my joy eye when I perseeved your jocular appreyesal.

Perhaps we're living in an upside down world !

« Last Edit: 03/08/2011 11:27:37 by neilep »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 03/08/2011 11:09:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums