The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: ovarian cyst/mass  (Read 4418 times)

Offline monak

• First timers
    • View Profile
ovarian cyst/mass
« on: 09/10/2003 14:57:01 »
my 17 yr old daughter was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst/tumor.  It's size is 18cm and has moved into her abdominal cavity. Tumor marking is being done today.  Doe anyone know of a situation where the mass was this large and what was the outcome.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: ovarian cyst/mass
« Reply #1 on: 09/10/2003 17:15:18 »
You got me, but I'll ask around.  Did you take any hormones to prevent a miscarriage while you were pregnant with her, and are they sure it's ovarian and not abdominal?

Bezoar

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 09/10/2003 18:55:16 »
There are a number of ovarian masses that can occur at this age and the common ones are benign, including ovarian cysts which can become very large before they are picked up, as can teratomas (which are also benign).

Part of the reason that ovarian problems are picked up late is that the ovaries sit in the pelvis with pletny of space to expand up into the abdominal cavity (like a pregnancy) before they become noticeable.

The tumour markers that are being sent are assays for blood glycoproteins, the levels of which go up in certain disorders. They are bo no means diagnostic and can only be used as a guideline to diagnosis, and in disease monitoring - a rising titre obviously suggests that a problem is getting worse, whilst a falling titre or a sustained low titre can be used to track response to chemotherapy or successful surgical resection.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/10/2003 19:31:13 »
I undrstand that cysts can be "re-absorbed" into the body. Is this possible with one at 18cm? Or, can it be broken up with sonar as are kidney stones?

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/10/2003 01:41:49 »
A (roughly) 2cm cyst on my ankle "reabsorbed" and never came back.  Another (small) cyst on my ovary would grow, rupture, then grow again and in the end both the cyst and ovary were removed.  The surgeon did an outstanding job; I was wheeled in to surgery at noon and by 5pm I was sitting up eating a roast beef dinner.  With a cyst as large as 18cm I would be concerned about it rupturing before the body had a chance to absorb it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 11/10/2003 01:41:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums