The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do you use streaming video?  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Do you use streaming video?
« on: 16/08/2011 08:48:15 »
Now that Neil has all this bandwidth at his disposal, he might want to consider streaming videos from the web to his telly.

I don't know what's available in the UK, but in the US there are lots of high quality videos available for very nominal charges. I bought a little box today that fetches videos off the internet via my wireless router, and stuffs them up a HDMI pipe into my telly.

Amazing! It weighs almost nothing, uses hardly any power, and the picture quality is great! Mrs G set it up in about five minutes.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16/08/2011 09:30:39 »
Yes, there are quite a few services (Virgin for example) who provide TV via fibre link. If you want Sky Sports you still have to pay Sky though (even if indirectly). Much better are the free TV services via the internet like BBC Iplayer (nothing to do with Apple) or 4oD where you can watch programmes on demand. They download/play realtime or, for HD if your bw is not high, after a short delay. Unfortunately the services are blocked to US/Canada viewers although can be obtained illegally via faking IP addresses (allegedly).

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/08/2011 13:22:51 »
Sounds something like a Roku, Geezer?  My parents have one and they like it.  Of course, if you're more tech-savvy, most modern laptops also have an HDMI port, so you could plug them into the TV.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/08/2011 18:30:09 »
Yes - it's the new Roku. I was using my ageing laptop for a bit, but it creates a lot of clutter in the living room, and you still have to dork around with the mouse and keyboard. It also seems to consume a surprising number of CPU cycles on the PC, so the stupid fan keeps cycling all the time.

The Roku doesn't even have a power switch (it only consumes a couple of watts), and you control everything with a little IR remote. I'll probably Velcro it on to the TV.

It will be interesting to see how many videos can stream simultaneously on our network. I'm not sure if the choke point will be the ISP bandwidth or the wireless router.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/08/2011 20:06:42 »
Unless you have a very old wireless router, a very poor wireless signal or very expensive and fast internet, you'll probably get choked by your ISP, not your router.  Even old wireless g routers tend to run at "up to 56 Mbps," while standard residential cable broadband tends to be around the 12 Mbps max mark. 
« Last Edit: 16/08/2011 20:11:02 by JP »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16/08/2011 23:41:26 »
Yes. I think you are right. I should be able to get five going simultaneously - three wireless and two Ethernet (despite your disapproval of such things).

I was watching the Tudors (nothing to do with US automobiles) on Netflix last night. Quite interesting, although there does seem to be a fair amount of boinking involved, which is probably historically accurate.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 16/08/2011 23:41:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums