The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is your opinion of the use of robotics in warfare?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline np_complete

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the increased use of unmanned vehicles / robots within unconventional warfare. A common argument is that due to cultural differences and perceptions of honor and death, the use of robotics actually underlines the argument of extremists.

(source of my argument / thought is from a blogpost I read: newbielink:http://blog.projectionpoint.com/?p=158 [nonactive])

Is the author right in claiming that there aren't any hard metrics for measuring the utility of robotics in warfare?

Any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: 29/08/2011 21:13:44 by chris »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is your opinion of the use of robotics in warfare?
« Reply #1 on: 23/08/2011 16:02:16 »
The argument is not directly related to use of drones but more to the effects of "collateral damage". I don't think it matters whether the weapons are drone-launched or not.

It is not so much a technological issue as a moral and political one.

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/08/2011 14:26:02 »
well its a very old topic and discussions were already done in late 60s and early 70s, but it was reported that its not feasible, because there is still no technology that assure 100% fool proof hardware, so its not a feasible option to go in the battle field to correct the malfunctioning and abandoning such costly unit will not only expose ur technology to the enemy but if any vulnerabulity is found can turn all ur army against you, plus robotic army is not suitable for extreme weathers, like rain or snow :). 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 29/08/2011 14:26:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums