The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it OK to flip the image?  (Read 6590 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Is it OK to flip the image?
« on: 23/08/2011 23:11:23 »
A friend of mine was singing in a choir that was televised recently by the BBC. When she saw the recording, she realized that some of the shots were shown in mirror image. She learned later that, apparently, this is not an uncommon occurrence.

Is this a legitimate practice? It does strike me as being slightly cheeky.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #1 on: 23/08/2011 23:20:06 »
Take a look at the footage in the film "Titanic" - as the boat departs from the dock you'll see that the people leaning over the rail waving farewell are all waving with the wrong hands.

They flipped this sequence around. The reason cited was that it was too expensive to build both sides of the boat, so they only built the starboard side. But boats dock on the port side, so they had to reverse the footage to make it look authentic. They reversed the names on the life buoys so that they would still say "Titanic" when viewed backwards, but they forgot to tell the extras to wave with the "wrong" hand, hence the giveaway...

Chris

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/08/2011 01:38:39 »
The world is not symmetrical.

There is a Black&Decker Saw that I was looking at online.

Unfortunately the second image (from the B&D website) has been inverted,and is not the real image of the saw.  And, as mentioned above, they even did the trick of also flipping the text.

Why on earth they would do this is beyond me.  A customer may actually have a reason to want to see different angles of the item being purchased.

For example, the previous model has a very cheesy oiler that is hidden on the back side, and not visible in any of the official B&D images.  The motor is also not visible in any of the photos.

Personally I think these practices are borderline fraud, and should be stopped (except perhaps in the Hollywood example above).  First of all, these are often constructed photos and not the "real" photos of the merchandise.  I wonder if any used car salesmen use the trick???   [:-[]

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/08/2011 04:32:53 »
That is a bit naughty. It suggests that the tool might be available both in right and left-handed versions.

The cinematic trick that Chris describes makes a lot of sense, but I'm a bit surprised that "the Beeb" would resort to using it on something like "Songs of Praise"  :D

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/08/2011 06:58:45 »
but I'm a bit surprised that "the Beeb" would resort to using it on something like "Songs of Praise" :D

Isn't that kind of like spinning an LP backwards...  And old trick?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/08/2011 07:16:23 »
The Beeb have been doing it for years. It makes any adverts in the background unreadable.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #6 on: 25/08/2011 21:48:35 »
The Beeb have been doing it for years. It makes any adverts in the background unreadable.

Wow - I did not know - or even notice that; which suggests that it probably works to turn the perceptible into the imperceptible!

Offline Donna111

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Is it OK to flip the image?
« Reply #7 on: 28/10/2013 06:57:43 »
HI there
I also want to know is there any image program for image flipping.
I have several image which need to be flipped.But my image processing program can not do it.
So i want to get a new one.Thanks for any suggestion.
« Last Edit: 28/10/2013 10:02:17 by CliffordK »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28/10/2013 07:34:17 »
Donna,

Most graphics programs have some kind of "flip" option.

In GIMP, go to: Image-Transform-Flip Horizontally

« Last Edit: 28/10/2013 07:36:07 by CliffordK »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28/10/2013 09:01:56 »
I have several image which need to be flipped.But my image processing program can not do it.
So i want to get a new one.Thanks for any suggestion.

I'd be surprised your image processing program didn't have this feature somewhere.
An alternative to Clifford's suggestion of GIMP is Irfanview which is a smaller program, (but only available for Windows operating systems).  Irfanview can do batch-processing so can perform the same modification on "several" images in one go.

Also there are "on-line" image manipulation websites,  e.g. ... http://pixlr.com/editor/ ,
which are accessible no matter what your computer operating system, as long as you have an internet connection.
« Last Edit: 28/10/2013 09:46:48 by RD »

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28/10/2013 17:30:43 »
Even the free program Microsoft Paint (comes with their operating system) can flip images.

Offline MrVat7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21/01/2014 23:00:13 »
You can flip the monitor too. lol

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22/01/2014 21:34:04 »
Once you have flipped the monitor it  is real difficult to work the mouse !

Offline AdrianJC

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25/01/2014 21:26:04 »
Another reason to flip the video is to avoid " newbielink:http://www.mediacollege.com/video/editing/transition/reverse-cut.html [nonactive]" and thus maintain newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180-degree_rule [nonactive] of camera positioning and video editing. Breaking this rule presents a newbielink:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPBr1MdtiVA [nonactive] which most audiences find disorienting. Normally newbielink:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPBr1MdtiVA [nonactive] to avoid this unless the disorienting effect was intended by the director. Once in the editing room, it is often too late to go back, reposition the cameras and reshoot the scene, so digital image manipulation may be used as a last resort.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25/01/2014 21:34:54 »
Perhaps you could fake British automobile scenes filmed in the USA, or American automobile scenes filmed in Britain  ;)

Offline Tinabiscuit

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25/01/2014 22:08:35 »
HI

This is pretty common practice, usually for aesthetic reasons. In landscape paintings and photos the idea is to go from front left to back right to lead the eye. (As they have with the second 'saw' picture) Also, in an advert the photo may be flipped to accommodate the copy.  It is usually spotted by words being part of the picture, or non-reversible images being used, (screws, in catalogues, with an apparent left hand thread). I think it is alright in most cases, but not if you put two left sides of a car together to hide the damaged right hand side.  It is also noticed in portraits, where if you know the person you would feel that something was wrong, but a stranger would not. Once you start looking you will probably see many more examples.

TB

TB

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26/01/2014 08:39:26 »
Perhaps you could fake British automobile scenes filmed in the USA, or American automobile scenes filmed in Britain  ;)

IIRC, according to Jeremy Clarkson, when filming commercials car manufacturers use dummy numberplates which only have characters with vertical symmetry, e.g. AHMTUVWXY80 , so they can get away with reversing the image and don't have to re-shoot a commercial for different markets.
« Last Edit: 26/01/2014 08:50:43 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16 on: 26/01/2014 08:39:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums