The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Rambling discussion split from "neutron star compressing heliosphere right now"  (Read 2115 times)

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile

Modnote - please put copied text in quotes, I know you provided a link but it wasn't clear that the second paragraph wasn't your own.  either use old fashioned type ones (ie the things above the 2 on a keyboard - " ) or go to preview, highlight the copied text and hit the quote button (which is the second button from the right just above the emoticons, it's three lines in a speech bubble.

On your comments - do you have a link to the experiment?  Energy/Mass warping space-time is the basis of einstein's general relativity and has been very well proved, we can see it through the orbit of mercury and a huge number of other effects.
« Last Edit: 26/08/2011 12:17:05 by imatfaal »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile

ie the things above the 2 on a keyboard - "

Wots 'e on about now then? The thing above the 2 on a keyboard is an @ (not an 'at, an at)

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Not my fault you colonial-types have dodgy keyboards!  I thought we had finally got around to uniformity on keyboards - is it shift little finger rhs + one more to the right? Cos that is where our @ is.  What do you have above the 3?  We have a pound sterling sign?

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Not my fault you colonial-types have dodgy keyboards!  I thought we had finally got around to uniformity on keyboards - is it shift little finger rhs + one more to the right? Cos that is where our @ is.  What do you have above the 3?  We have a pound sterling sign?

We fought our revolution to liberate our proper American pound sign, #, from your tyranny!  Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some British keyboards to dump into Boston Harbor.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Tip anything into Boston Harbour now and you would have the port authority charging you with pollution and the longshoremen busting your b@#**s stevedores giving you grief for being unauthorised labour

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Didn't you lot get a directive from the commissars in Brussels to destroy all keyboards that had a Lira sign on them?

BTW, that's Boston Harbor
« Last Edit: 25/08/2011 05:19:52 by Geezer »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Didn't you lot get a directive from the commissars in Brussels to destroy all keyboards that had a Lira sign on them?

Now you have me thinking what was the Lira sign? - our pound sign is just a stylised L and both word have the same derivation, I wonder if the sign was the same.  Trouble is that when an englishman (or possibly even an expatriate scot who has forgotten how to spell harbour) was in Italy before the Euro you spent all your time trying to divide by 1700-1900, and tended not to notice what was in front of the huge figure

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Now you have me thinking what was the Lira sign? - our pound sign is just a stylised L and both word have the same derivation, I wonder if the sign was the same.  Trouble is that when an englishman (or possibly even an expatriate scot who has forgotten how to spell harbour) was in Italy before the Euro you spent all your time trying to divide by 1700-1900, and tended not to notice what was in front of the huge figure

"The symbol "₤" is also known as the lira sign. In Italy, prior to the adoption of the euro, the symbol was used as an alternative to the more usual L to indicate prices in lire."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_sign

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Ah - so I did notice something other than those oh so glamorous italian women

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Actually, it's Bahston Hahba.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Actually, it's Bahston Hahba.

Thanks for reminding me. I could not remember if I pahked my ka in the ka pak near the hahba or in a ka pak near Hahvad Yad.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
As certain moderators have now well and truly trashed this tread, what does an amber traffic light mean in Bahstn?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Stahp?

No. It doesn't mean a damn thing  :D

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines