The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: ?Is the Universe contracting, The Big Anti-Bang  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Robro

• View Profile
?Is the Universe contracting, The Big Anti-Bang
« on: 28/08/2011 05:31:22 »
Hypothetical:

In the beginning, there was an infinite anti-singularity. Suddenly, without apparent cause, an implosive force pulled vast amounts of energy from the anti-singularity into it's void, coagulating into matter. Since then, the Universe went through a hyper-implosive segment where the Universe became smaller at an accelerated rate. The inside edge of the anti-singularity will forever be beyond our observation because the Universe is contracting faster than the speed of light. We just keep getting smaller and smaller.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28/08/2011 15:53:57 »
I think this hypothesis contradicts observations though. Red shifted galaxies and the CMB all suggest the universe is expanding.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/08/2011 17:06:48 »
Hi Robro, since this is proposing a new theory, I've move it to the New Theories forum.  We try to keep the Physics, Astronomy and Cosmology forum for Q&A discussion of mainstream theories.

Aside from what Ben pointed out (that this idea contradicts observations), there is another issue right away with this idea.  What do you mean by:
In the beginning, there was an infinite anti-singularity.
?

A singularity in cosmlogy is when the gravitational curvature of space-time becomes infinite, such as when something becomes infinitely dense according to the theory.  I'm not sure what an anti-singularity would be.

Offline Robro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/08/2011 00:40:27 »
Sorry bout that, I posted in the wrong forum. Just having some fun with thought play. Wondering if a contracting Universe could be adjusted to satisfy all the observations. But you brought up a good question, the hypothetical anti-singularity. I suppose it would be the opposite of the singularity. An object or area infinite in size with zero mass.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 29/08/2011 00:40:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length