The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Anticardiolipin antibodies  (Read 3145 times)

Offline genegenie

• View Profile
Anticardiolipin antibodies
« on: 12/10/2003 10:24:02 »
After several miscarriages, a few years back it was found that I have raised levels of ACAs. I've recently been doing a bit of reading on the subject, and I now find that this is a clotting disorder and I am (supposedly) at an increased risk of suffering a DVT, stroke etc. I guess I'm a little concerned...I've never had any further tests done, basically the Obstetrician said at the time that the ACA levels were the reason for the miscarriages and sent me on my way. I've started low dose asprin, but I was thinking that perhaps I should see a haematologist about this. Does anyone have any knowledge of this disorder?

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: Anticardiolipin antibodies
« Reply #1 on: 12/10/2003 12:29:32 »
Did you read that low dose aspirin combined with prednisolone gives a 75% chance of a successful pregnancy?  Didn't know if you were still trying.  I understood that the levels have to be pretty high, above 95%, to be associated with PE or DVT, and that there was no association with the levels one way or the other with stroke. I'm with you though.  I'd stay on the aspirin.  All those clotting disorders made me nervous.

Offline genegenie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/10/2003 10:26:40 »
Thanks for replying bezoar. My Obstetrician suggested asprin and corticosteroids for future pregnancies, but for various reasons I haven't bothered. I read that heparin is now quite successful, which is certainly more appealing than the steroids. I don't really know enough about my levels, perhaps I should have them rechecked and take it from there...see what the GP says. As you suggested, I'm staying on the asprin....it's making me nervous.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/10/2003 02:12:10 »
I'm with you. I'd get a handle on the levels, and still stay on the aspirin.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 14/10/2003 02:12:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length