The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Grass Clippings...what are they good for ?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Grass Clippings...what are they good for ?
« on: 26/04/2006 19:31:53 »
Itís mowing season.

Everyone is at it.....Am I going to suffocate my plants by putting the grass on the turf ?

Or need I wait till it becomes compost ?..I need to know whether I should surreptitiously  start storing my grass cuttings in next doors garden or not  (we have an adjoining walkway to a combined bomb shelter yísee.

cheers and happy mowing mowers.[8D]

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: Grass Clippings...what are they good for ?
« Reply #1 on: 26/04/2006 21:37:06 »
I take it like me you've just cut the lawn for the first time this summer, ive got a big mound of the stuff and it takes for ever to rot away so if you want it, i will leave it at the end of my garden for you.

Michael

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/04/2006 22:14:34 »
Grass clippings are a very effective mulch and can be applied straight from the mower box. However they must be applied as a 4" to 6" thickness and this can cause problems. If the layer is too thick, no air will penetrate to the bottom and they will become smelly and rotten and useless as a soil conditioner.
Experiments have been done in Sweden for 3 years on mulching Cauliflowers with grass clippings. It was observed that grass mulching consistently resulted in increased yield and reduced damage by root maggots. The effect of grass mulching on root fly population was also studied for 1 year. The mulching did not reduce egg laying but did result in increased egg-predation. The effects were most pronounced when the mulching material completely covered the ground even close to the stems of the plants.

Ps if you want a good laugh look at the last post on Bean Test and other mad visual stuff  and give it a try

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/04/2006 01:09:14 »
Thanks Michael....if there is anything else you want me to pick up , like wifey for instance, just leave it there and I'll grab it/them  later ! :D...failing that you could always post it all to me and to save on postage , just send me one grass blade at a time.:)

Hadrian...amazing !...I shall get my ruler and use it to apply no more than 6" all the way round....but, because I like to get away with dumping it next door I may well just sit back and enjoy that moment anyway for a while before applying the mulch.

Thank you also for the interesting data gathered by the Swedes...I knew they has a use for something :D...well..that and saunas and ABBA ! ;)

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 27/04/2006 01:09:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums