The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Which tool was most valuable?  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Which tool was most valuable?
« on: 07/09/2011 07:18:20 »
We all buy tools from time-to-time, but which tools did you buy that were the best investment for you? Perhaps it was a calculator, a book, a stethoscope.

In my case, I bought a "multimeter" (it measures voltage, current, and resistance) about 45 years ago. It was an enormous investment at the time. I think it cost me about three pounds and ten shillings. In retrospect, it was probably the best investment I ever made.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07/09/2011 10:37:40 »
In my case, I bought a "multimeter" (it measures voltage, current, and resistance) about 45 years ago.

AVO meter ? ...

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/09/2011 11:04:53 »
Very sad to say but my quality of life improved immensely when my secretary persuaded me to buy a headset for my phone.  My neckaches and bad back stopped (not surprisingly), but I also got fewer headaches - and a chronic pain in my shoulder that I was convinced was due to the fact that I broke it playing rugby cleared up almost overnight.  At the time I would have given a fair portion of my income to clear up my shoulder problem - and it turned out that it could be cleared up by a change in working environment.  BTW as a shipbroker the telephone and a pen are as close as we get to using tools. 

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/09/2011 12:38:10 »
On the electronics front, I only have a cheap multimeter which is usually good enough. If I want anything better I borrow one from work. Best investment in this field was a Weller, temperature controlled soldering iron and solder removers (a "sucker and a reel of braided copper stuff).

Generally the best tool is a Bosch cordless drill which has proved very handy. And, to a lesser extent, an early Black and Decker Workmate.

Geezer, here is a problem I have and I wondered whether you suffer from this too: I like fixing things so, as an example of what results from this, I have a very decent, but 16 year old television that I have brought back to life about 6 times. Same with my HiFi; the speakers are huge IMF folded transmission line type (repaired a couple of times) about 40 years old and rest is only a bit younger. It was some years before I dumped my hand built "Bailey" stereo amplifier which worked very well but was never made to look nice :-) I also have a garage which is full of potentially useful "bits".

I recently repaired an "autohelm" for a friend's boat. It took about 4 hours to reverse engineer the circuitry to find the fault so was not at all economic, but was a challenge - a bit like doing a difficult crossword I suppose. It did justify the soldering stuff and the multimeter though :-)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/09/2011 18:21:35 »
Geezer, here is a problem I have and I wondered whether you suffer from this too: I like fixing things so,

I always figure it's best to buy the tools and fix it myself rather than pay someone else to do it, and I love the challege. Consequently, I have just about every conceivable tool, (including a whopping great mill/drill and a diesel tractor with a loader and backhoe) and a garage full of "stuff".

I fixed a tumble dryer we had about four times over a period of twenty years until Mrs G put her foot down and made me toss it!

I'm currently welding a 16 ft square by 7 foot high cage made from re-bar to keep the deer out of our vegetables. I suppose I could have used a more conventional method, but I wanted to practice a bit of welding. Of course, after I bought the re-bar, I discovered that I had bought the non-weldable variety! (It does actually weld, just not so easily.)

BTW, one of the best things I have is a metal cutting bandsaw. As anyone knows who has ever tried it, cutting a one inch diameter steel bar with a manual hacksaw is no fun at all. The bandsaw zips through anything like that in a few minutes and even switches itself off when it's done.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/09/2011 18:33:56 »
Does a computer count?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/09/2011 18:41:40 »
Does a computer count?

Only if you program it properly.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07/09/2011 19:14:07 »
Does a computer count?

Only if you program it properly.

LOL

I think my favourite tool is my Swiss army knife. Unfortunately I lost the  thing.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07/09/2011 19:46:24 »
Best tool?
I don't know.  

A computer is useful, but the lifespan of a computer is usually somewhere around 5 years.

A good wrench might last 50 years (or longer, but eventually technology changes so open end wrenches are replaced by box end or combination wrenches.  Better stainless alloys.  Ratcheting box end wrenches are nice, and so-on.

My Angle Grinders have gotten some good use.  

I got almost 30 years use out of the lawn mower, but I won't put that at the top of the list.  It is finally time for a major rebuild.

My bicycle is also a couple of decades old, and has seen quite a few miles.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 07/09/2011 19:46:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums