The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where can I find data on dimensions of stars?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline cjohnson

• First timers
    • View Profile
Where can I find data on dimensions of stars?
« on: 08/09/2011 09:01:04 »
Christopher Johnson  asked the Naked Scientists:
   My name is Chris Johnson from West Virginia in the US. 

newbielink:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/ [nonactive].  I have a question, and as I am a mathematician and don't know any astronomical physists, I would love your thoughts.

I did my master's thesis on weighted alpha shapes and persistent homology.  Basically, this is where you take a 3d point set, each with a radius, and build a triagulation.  You then use Persistent Homology to find the number of components, tunnels, and voids in the structure.  This has been applied to images (removing noise) and to proteins. 

I have written the software to compute these structures, and I am interested in applying this type of analysis to stars.  With a dataset of a region of stars and using the mass of the star as the weight, I can show where there are disconnections, tunnels, and voids in the gravity of a region of space.  I am curious to get physists opinions on the benefit of this.  What kinds of questions might you ask, having this type of information about a region of space?

Also, I am not sure where to find a complete database of all the stars in a particular region with their position, diameter, and mass.  I have looked at a few online, but the ones I found so far did not have complete and consistent data.

I appreciate your time, and I would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Thanks,
Chris Johnson
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 08/09/2011 09:01:04 by _system »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08/09/2011 10:22:41 »
I wish I knew - your project sounds fascinating if a little daunting.  If I notice anything that might help I will let you know

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 08/09/2011 10:22:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length