The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does your cellphone alter your muscular coordination?  (Read 1861 times)

Norman Doak

Norman Doak  asked the Naked Scientists:
   Good day Chris,

You once had a discussion with a gentleman who carries his cellphone in his shirt pocket and he was concerned that it would have an effect on him somehow.

Your reply was that there was no proof of any effects from radiation from a cellphone.

I have had an interesting revelation which I must share with you and hope you can give some scientific reason for the phenomenon.

Place your cellphone down somewhere. Extend your arm at shoulder height and let somebody hang on it and try to depress it while you resist the pressure.  

Now pick up your cellphone and hold it against your heart while repeating the arm / depress scenario.

You will be amazed how your resistance is almost nil and your arm is easily pushed down.

I can only assume from this that the cellphone radiation must have an effect on your system and am curious to hear your comments on this.

I would appreciate an emailed reply as I sometimes miss parts of your programme much to my chagrin.

Kind regards from Sunny South Africa and I am looking forward to your reply.

Norman Doak
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 08/09/2011 23:01:07 by _system »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Why does your cellphone alter your muscular coordination?
« Reply #1 on: 09/09/2011 04:35:30 »
If you repeat the experiment with the phone turned off, I think you will get the same result.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/09/2011 10:31:34 »
I would agree with Geezer on this one...

It may be due to positioning of the arm, and/or holding of the cell phone (on or off).  The angle you are holding the hand and wrist may also be important.

You might try holding some other light, fragile, precious object in a similar manner (compared to an empty clenched fist).  I'm trying to think of what might be comparable.  A raw egg, or a cracker come to mind.  Or, perhaps something like a small chick.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/09/2011 18:00:23 »
Cellphone not required (nor other object) ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohnstamm%27s_phenomenon
« Last Edit: 10/09/2011 18:05:25 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/09/2011 19:31:09 »
Cellphone not required (nor other object) ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohnstamm%27s_phenomenon

We used to do something similar in school where a few people press down on a seated person's head with their fingers for a while, then they lift the chair and the person sitting on it quite easily using only their fingers.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 10/09/2011 19:31:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums