The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are aluminium utensils safe?  (Read 3484 times)

Offline deepat

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Aluminium Extrusions
Are aluminium utensils safe?
« on: 09/09/2011 11:12:34 »
Are aluminium utensils safe to use? I remember reading that anodized aluminium should be used for cooking. Any other points to keep in mind before purchasing Al utensils?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09/09/2011 20:26:29 »
There is a lot of controversy about the connection between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease.  I don't think a direct causative link has been demonstrated yet, although aluminum has been found in the brains of deceased Alzheimer's patients.

Aluminum has excellent heat spreading capabilities, and thus is often used in skillets, which are also often Teflon coated. 

Personally, I would choose to minimize the use of aluminum cookware, but not worry about the occasional use of aluminum camping ware.

You might also note that in the USA, Aluminum is a component of many (but not all) brands of Baking Powder, and tends to give a bitter taste to the baking powder.  Non Aluminum substitutes are available.  I wouldn't be surprised to find it in premixed biscuits or pancakes.

Offline vernahll2

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/09/2011 12:03:19 »
If you have to use aluminum cookware use a wooden spoon for stirring rather than a metal spoon.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #3 on: 15/09/2011 21:03:11 »
And probably best to avoid cooking acidic foods/fruits/preserves which attack the aluminium surface...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 15/09/2011 21:03:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums