The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What percentage are DUI?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What percentage are DUI?
« on: 11/09/2011 06:38:36 »
The local constabulary seem to be able to determine that a fair number of people are DUI (Driving Under the Influence) of something that impares their capacity to drive a motor vehicle.

Assuming the local constabulary are only capable of detecting a certain percentage of people who are DUI, how many people are actually DUI? Might it be 25% or more of all drivers?

(I only ask this because I have had a couple of beers, but I will not be driving anywhere.)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
What percentage are DUI?
« Reply #1 on: 11/09/2011 09:19:29 »
I'm sure it depends on the day of the week, or what you consider "under the influence."  In the USA, the legal definition for driving in most states is a blood alcohol level of 0.08%, although, there may be some deficits at levels as low as 0.04%.

Anyway, some municipalities will periodically do roadblocks.  I've seen a couple, and they certainly aren't arresting 25% of the drivers.  Imagine how quickly they could fill an impound lot.

Here is a Nebraska Report on Drunk Driving.  It doesn't appear to have any hardcore statistics, but it seems to indicate:

1-2% of drivers during the day are intoxicated.
8% of drivers during the night are intoxicated.
Perhaps as many as 25% are intoxicated after 11 PM (in places with numerous bars).

The Naked Scientists Forum

What percentage are DUI?
« Reply #1 on: 11/09/2011 09:19:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums