The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Inquiries regarding a dog bite (supposedly with rabies)  (Read 3898 times)

Offline rblood66

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hello, I'm new to this forum and any replies or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I would just like to know, is it possible for a small dog bite (allegedly with rabies) to show signs of bruising and/or discoloration in as early as 30 min?

The puncture wound is quite minimal and not even deep, it would be along the size of a small grain of rice or perhaps smaller.

Does the photo (taken 30 min after) present proof of a rabies infection to some extent or am I in the verge of getting ripped of by a stranger?

I am inclined on the latter considering the fact that I was there during the alleged biting and saw no such event.

Thanks in advance

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Inquiries regarding a dog bite (supposedly with rabies)
« Reply #1 on: 12/09/2011 06:55:45 »
If you think the dog has rabies, the dog needs to be captured, or killed, and taken to a vet or animal control.  The vet may be able to do a behavioral analysis on the animal, but I believe that a definitive test requires euthanizing the animal.

YOU NEED TO SEE A PHYSICIAN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

The incubation period of Rabies is between 10 days, and a few months, or even up to a year or so.  If you receive a rabies vaccine, and rabies immunoglobulin treatments while the disease is asymptomatic, then it is nearly 100% preventable.  If you wait until the symptoms appear, then the success rate is extremely low. 

Actually, notes indicate that there have been a total of 6 symptomatic rabies survivors, all in this last decade.

As far as the bite, I can not confirm what rabies will look like in an early stage.  I would guess that it is a secondary infection unrelated to Rabies.  It still should be evaluated by a physician, and may require antibiotics.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/09/2011 07:05:10 »
Completely agree with Clifford. I don't think the appearance of the wound can indicate the absence or presence of the rabies virus. If there is any possibility that the dog is rabid, you must see a doctor immediately.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/09/2011 17:54:48 »
I third this.  Whoever got bitten either needs to get the vaccination records of the dog to ensure that it's been vaccinated against rabies, or they need to contact a doctor immediately.  Rabies is nearly 100% fatal after symptoms show, so a possibly infected bite is very serious.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/09/2011 00:14:45 »
Rabies is nearly 100% fatal after symptoms show, so a possibly infected bite is very serious.

Actually, did you read my link above?  Apparently the fatality rate has dropped down to between 80% and 90% with the new treatments introduced in the past decade. 

It still isn't too good of odds, and much better to do preventative treatment.

Good point about checking the vaccination records of the dog that bit the person.

If the dog can't be captured or assessed, I believe it is generally considered best to error on the side of caution.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/09/2011 02:51:07 »

Apparently the fatality rate has dropped down to between 80% and 90% with the new treatments introduced in the past decade.

Oh goody! It's nice to know I've only got an 80% chance of croaking. I'll try to remember that the next time I start foaming at the mouth :D

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/09/2011 11:05:19 »

Apparently the fatality rate has dropped down to between 80% and 90% with the new treatments introduced in the past decade.

Oh goody! It's nice to know I've only got an 80% chance of croaking. I'll try to remember that the next time I start foaming at the mouth :D
The man recovered of the bite,  The dog it was that died.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14/09/2011 12:29:31 »
Rabies is nearly 100% fatal after symptoms show, so a possibly infected bite is very serious.

Actually, did you read my link above?  Apparently the fatality rate has dropped down to between 80% and 90% with the new treatments introduced in the past decade. 

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/712839_7

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14/09/2011 16:46:54 »

Can you snip it JP? (It wants me to set up an account.)

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14/09/2011 17:59:23 »

Can you snip it JP? (It wants me to set up an account.)

Weird. It wants me to set up an account now, too.  I got in this morning just fine.

Anyway, it was a summary of the Milwaukee protocol to treat rabies after symptoms have arisen (as of 2010).  There are two versions of the protocol.  In the older version, 2/25 people survived.  In the newer version, 2/10 people survived.  That's 8% and 20% survival rates in very small samples.  It also seems quite possible to survive, but have brain damage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_protocol.

Infection rates in first world countries tends to be fairly low, but it's worth noting that there are ~55,000 cases per year worldwide, and most of those people don't have access to the Milwaukee protocol and will end up dying.

I'm not sure where the OP is from, as we get a lot of traffic from around the world, but his/her area might not have facilities for the Milwaukee protocol...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 14/09/2011 17:59:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums