The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does the moon influence behaviour (especially kids)  (Read 2414 times)

Offline mattmckee

• View Profile
Some colleagues in our front office wanted to know the answer, asked me and I said no - no evidence - they said really - I said not that I know of and of course that left it open to finding theories to fit the evidence and links as to why, like we're 80% water, moon makes tides etc... 
So.. can anyone add some details please...
Thanks
Matt

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Does the moon influence behaviour (especially kids)
« Reply #1 on: 15/09/2011 17:30:41 »
Most people on this site will take anything related to astrology with a healthy sense of skepticism. 

There is actually a Wikipedia page on this subject.

In 1959 Walter and Abraham Menaker reported that a study of over 510,000 births in New York City showed a 1 percent increase in births in the two weeks following the full moon. In 1967 Walter Menaker studied another 500,000 births in New York City, and found a 1 percent increase in births in the two-week period centered on the full moon. In 1973 M. Osley, D. Summerville, and L. B. Borst studied another 500,000 births in New York City, and they reported a 1 percent increase in births before the full moon.

I suppose this illustrates the problem with these types of studies.
Different studies conclude:
  • Increase of births after the full mooon
  • Increase of births during the full moon
  • Increase of births before the full moon

The only logical conclusion was that there was in fact no correlation.

And, that is what most meta-studies actually find, no correlation.

Here is Another Summary of Many Studies.  Occasionally a researcher would find a relationship with moon phases, but it seems as if most studies conclude no relationship.

Logically, the influence of the moon (gravity?  light?) would be negligible.  It is possible that a bias could be crated by the actual subjects expecting the full moon to be special, and thus changing their behavior based on their own expectations. 

A full moon, if it is visible, might be able to extend the length of the day somewhat, especially during the summer.

Offline mattmckee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/09/2011 18:42:33 »
thanks for the help - I don't expect a correlation, but thought, actually I have no evidence either way - much like the astrology thing - I doubt the whole thing and dont expect a link - but couldn't cite anything to support it, cheers
Matt

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 22/09/2011 17:41:21 »
Nah! Moon phases have no effect on me.....

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 22/09/2011 17:41:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length