The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Do Humans Crave The Companionship Of Other Species ?  (Read 5449 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Craveologists,

As a sheepy I of course am craved by humans from all over...especially Wales and New Zealand ! In addition to those wanton needs I receive simply oodles of fan mail every day from peeps who require my special service !

Take a look at Tarquin Feline Le Stroke Caress The 3rd.

Tarquin being petted by a craved owner yesterday.

It seems quite evident that ewe humans crave the companionship of other species !!...Why's that then ?

Ewe see.....I just do not know......I asked my cat but all I got was jumped upon and dough made on my lap whilst claws were dug in !!!...so..no luck there !

whajafink ?

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Craved By The Depraved
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Why Do Humans Crave The Companionship Of Other Species ?
« Reply #1 on: 16/09/2011 05:07:10 »
I assume our symbiotic relationship with animals began as teaching "Working animals". 

Horses for carrying stuff quickly.
Cows for milk, meat, and carrying stuff slowly (horses are also milked, and sometimes eaten in some cultures).
Dogs for protection, vigilance, and herding animals.
Cats...  as mousers. 

etc.

Those animals that showed the most affection to humans likely received better care, were fed, bred, and reproduced more.  Likewise, providing food and affection to one's pet helps keep them around...  thus, in the case of cats, fewer mice around the house, and better health for the owner.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 22/09/2011 17:33:48 »

...... ewe humans crave the companionship of other species !!...Why's that then ?

'Cause sometimes our own species can be a right pain in the ass.

BTW, I think the first domesticated animal was the pig; and I'm not talkin' 'bout the mother-in-law?
« Last Edit: 22/09/2011 17:35:36 by Don_1 »

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/09/2011 18:19:59 »
get some fleas on the cat & test the power of the laplove

Offline vernahll2

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/09/2011 05:38:32 »
Humans have been pet lovers for centuries. Often pets are like surrogate children. We see so much of our own behavior in them. They have children like us, show affection like we do, are playful, are great companions, which is why it is very easy for a bond of affection to develop between pet owners and their pets. Pets become almost like family members and pet owners experience genuine grief when their pets die. It's all about loving and being able to take care of another living creature.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23/09/2011 07:39:25 »
Humans have been pet lovers for centuries.
I suppose it would be hard to tell when "pet lovers" began. 

about-dot-com has a number of articles about the history of animal domestication.

Cats have been depicted in Egyptian Art for thousands of years, and the domestication was likely earlier.  Many estimates are around 10,000 years, but some DNA evidence indicate as long as 160,000 years ago. 
http://archaeology.about.com/od/domestications/qt/cat.htm
http://cats.about.com/od/societyandcats/a/thecat.htm

Dog domestication estimates are around 10,000 to 30,000 years ago, with DNA evidence pointing to as early as 100,000 years ago. 
http://archaeology.about.com/od/domestications/qt/dogs.htm

This means that the domestication of cats and dogs could have been as early as the distinction of homo sapiens from other hominids.  I believe canine bones have been found in conjunction with other hominid sub-species, however, it is unclear if they were companions or prey.  I would assume careful evaluation for tool-marks on the bones might help make that distinction.

Whether ancient pets were working animals, or companions, or both would be difficult to determine.  The archeology in Cyprus indicates that in at least one case, a cat was purposefully buried with a human over 9,000 years ago (see about-dot-com articles above).

Some indications are that cats would have been domesticated around the time grain was domesticated, and rats and mice would have become nuisances. 

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/09/2011 11:03:39 »
I assume our symbiotic relationship with animals began as teaching "Working animals". 

Horses for carrying stuff quickly.
Cows for milk, meat, and carrying stuff slowly (horses are also milked, and sometimes eaten in some cultures).
Dogs for protection, vigilance, and herding animals.
Cats...  as mousers. 

etc.

Those animals that showed the most affection to humans likely received better care, were fed, bred, and reproduced more.  Likewise, providing food and affection to one's pet helps keep them around...  thus, in the case of cats, fewer mice around the house, and better health for the owner.

Thank Ewe CliffordK. Do ewe think then after many thousands of years of working with and cosuming animals, a proclivity to require their companionship just as ' friends ' has manifested ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25/09/2011 11:04:33 »

...... ewe humans crave the companionship of other species !!...Why's that then ?

'Cause sometimes our own species can be a right pain in the ass.

BTW, I think the first domesticated animal was the pig; and I'm not talkin' 'bout the mother-in-law?

..but...ewe did mention the ' mother-in-law '  ;D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25/09/2011 11:06:12 »
get some fleas on the cat & test the power of the laplove

Thank ewe CZARCAR...fortunately my cat is flea free !...  ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25/09/2011 11:08:11 »
Humans have been pet lovers for centuries. Often pets are like surrogate children. We see so much of our own behavior in them. They have children like us, show affection like we do, are playful, are great companions, which is why it is very easy for a bond of affection to develop between pet owners and their pets. Pets become almost like family members and pet owners experience genuine grief when their pets die. It's all about loving and being able to take care of another living creature.

Thank ewe very much vernahll2 for your response (and welcome to the site) ...having recently lost a pet I can vouch for all experiences and emotions ewe have mentioned.
« Last Edit: 25/09/2011 17:46:52 by peppercorn »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25/09/2011 11:13:13 »
Humans have been pet lovers for centuries.
I suppose it would be hard to tell when "pet lovers" began. 

about-dot-com has a number of articles about the history of animal domestication.

Cats have been depicted in Egyptian Art for thousands of years, and the domestication was likely earlier.  Many estimates are around 10,000 years, but some DNA evidence indicate as long as 160,000 years ago. 
http://archaeology.about.com/od/domestications/qt/cat.htm
http://cats.about.com/od/societyandcats/a/thecat.htm

Dog domestication estimates are around 10,000 to 30,000 years ago, with DNA evidence pointing to as early as 100,000 years ago. 
http://archaeology.about.com/od/domestications/qt/dogs.htm

This means that the domestication of cats and dogs could have been as early as the distinction of homo sapiens from other hominids.  I believe canine bones have been found in conjunction with other hominid sub-species, however, it is unclear if they were companions or prey.  I would assume careful evaluation for tool-marks on the bones might help make that distinction.

Whether ancient pets were working animals, or companions, or both would be difficult to determine.  The archeology in Cyprus indicates that in at least one case, a cat was purposefully buried with a human over 9,000 years ago (see about-dot-com articles above).

Some indications are that cats would have been domesticated around the time grain was domesticated, and rats and mice would have become nuisances. 

Wonderful information. Thank ewe very much CliffordK. Great links too. I often an amazed at the acceptance of relationship afforded to me by my cat....an then I sit back and think how strange it is.....This is an ' animal ' ( i know we are ) and wonder at the ease at which the association exists.

Offline MikeS

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Devils Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25/09/2011 15:52:19 »
By comparison pets make us look bright.  (our definition, not theirs)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25/09/2011 16:55:13 »
By comparison pets make us look bright.  (our definition, not theirs)

I could not agree more...MY training is coming on very well indeed !  ;) :D...thanks MikeS

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #13 on: 25/09/2011 17:53:22 »
Thank ewe very much vernahll2 for your response (and welcome to the site) ...having recently lost a pet I can vouch for all experiences and emotions ewe have mentioned.

Me too :(
Had to put our cat down a week ago - not nice! [:-'(]

<oops! - manage to modify rather than quote ya earlier msg. Sorry!>

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25/09/2011 22:02:06 »

Me too :(
Had to put our cat down a week ago - not nice! [:-'(]

<oops! - manage to modify rather than quote ya earlier msg. Sorry!>

I had to put Deano down last Thursday !  [:-'(]

Hugs ya chum

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 25/09/2011 22:02:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums