The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Are Triangular Sandwiches Preferred ?  (Read 27132 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Are Triangular Sandwiches Preferred ?
« on: 15/09/2011 21:34:01 »
Dearest darling Sandwichologists !

As a sheepy i simply luff sarnies !!....They are all I think about really. Yep from the dawn of a new day to the moment I fall asleep...sarnies are all I think about ! Sandwiches were invented in 1982 by Sandy Wich and have proven quite popular ever since.

Look, here are some for your perusal :

Sandwiches for your perusal before being consumed yesterday

nice eh ?

Notice how triangulary non squarey shapeyed they are ?

In my experience I have found that triangular sarnies are the most popular shape ..

Why's that then ? Why Are Triangular Sandwiches Preferred ?

I don't know....though I share the preference !

whajafink ?

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Shape Sarnie Scientist
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16/09/2011 04:35:42 »
I usually don't eat a half a sandwich...  so there is no point in cutting it in half, although a foot-long sub sandwich can be a bit unwieldy. 

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/09/2011 07:31:02 »
It's scientifically unsound to cut them diagonally because it exposes more non-crusty bread surface than cutting them on a line perpendicular to the edges. The increased surface area causes the bread to dry out more quickly. I am sure you have observed that triangular sandwiches dry out more quickly.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/09/2011 10:25:19 »
It's because when they curl up, on British Rail trains for example, they can remain stable on a surface having just 3 points of contact. Unless they are the wrong way up of course.

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/09/2011 15:33:11 »
corners fit in the mouth better without smearing the face- unless u bite into the hypotenuse of the  triangle

Offline oversee

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/09/2011 22:51:33 »
Triangular sandwiches are better for three reasons:
1. If you don't like crust, it is easier to avoid eating it because the long part without the crust is longer than in a rectangular cut sandwich.
2. The triangular corners are easier to bite. With a rectangular sandwich, most people will take their first bite from the center rather than the corners, causing mayonnaise and mustard to end up smeared on their face.
3. Even if you eat crust, most people like the part without crust better so a triangular cut lets them eat that part first, saving the less delectable parts for the end.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/09/2011 10:39:50 »
I usually don't eat a half a sandwich...  so there is no point in cutting it in half, although a foot-long sub sandwich can be a bit unwieldy. 

Thanks CliffordK. I do luff subs too.
There are times when I choose to eat my square sandwich whole ...and it can be quite ritualised....startining off by eating the edges and then eating the yummy insides. This is usually always with regard to peanut butter sarnies !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/09/2011 10:42:31 »
It's scientifically unsound to cut them diagonally because it exposes more non-crusty bread surface than cutting them on a line perpendicular to the edges. The increased surface area causes the bread to dry out more quickly. I am sure you have observed that triangular sandwiches dry out more quickly.

Thanky Geezy !...My sarnies are rarely exposed long enough for them to dry out !...I may just have to conduct some empirical study here ! It'll be difficult because the urge to consume is strong !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/09/2011 10:46:31 »
It's because when they curl up, on British Rail trains for example, they can remain stable on a surface having just 3 points of contact. Unless they are the wrong way up of course.

Thanks graham.d It has been a while since I had a train sandwich and I thought they had improved the recipe (by using actual ingredients for for human consumption) ;)....though your rationale regarding the stability is sound !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/09/2011 10:50:12 »
corners fit in the mouth better without smearing the face- unless u bite into the hypotenuse of the  triangle

So perhaps Pythagoras invented the sandwich !!..thanks CZARCAR ...or..it could have been whilst eating a triangular sandwich that led him to realise his theorem !....Gosh....Newton and the apple.....Pythag and a sarnie....perhaps all major theories are food related !  ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19/09/2011 10:52:10 »
Triangular sandwiches are better for three reasons:
1. If you don't like crust, it is easier to avoid eating it because the long part without the crust is longer than in a rectangular cut sandwich.
2. The triangular corners are easier to bite. With a rectangular sandwich, most people will take their first bite from the center rather than the corners, causing mayonnaise and mustard to end up smeared on their face.
3. Even if you eat crust, most people like the part without crust better so a triangular cut lets them eat that part first, saving the less delectable parts for the end.

Well....I'm convinced !...Thanks oversee !...there's another point to add to your three reasoned response...and that triangular sarnies have three edges !......it could be important !!  ;)

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19/09/2011 18:40:40 »
shaving sux even today! but try grow the facehairs & playing with the sandwich

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #12 on: 19/09/2011 23:20:23 »
I think its got much to do with presentation - the diagonal being 1.4x longer than the square-cut. It gives maximum view of the filling of the sandwich through the transparent plastic in the packaging.

It'd also be less stressful to cut in the factory as you simply cut from corner to corner rather than having to ummm and ahhh and wonder whether you've got the 'square' cut down the centre.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19/09/2011 23:37:32 »
Isn't it really a packaging thing? Those triangular see-through pakages that they put them in are obviously much mure robust than a rectangular package would be. Yes, I'm sure that must be it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 19/09/2011 23:37:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums