The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is painting the roof of your house white such a good idea?  (Read 3377 times)

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Many environmental scientists, including myself, have stated that painting the roof of your house white would have albido effect thus reflecting solar radition back into space therby off setting the current warming trend by a measureable amount.

My recent concern, and I mean recent as in the past few minutes, is that this would reduce the average temperature within the building, increasing the use of heating. 

Does anyone here have any ideas on this subject/question?   ;D

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Is painting the roof of your house white such a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: 18/09/2011 05:07:26 »
In the absence of other energy capture methods, there would likely be a benefit of using white, or light colored roofing, as well as using light colored road surfaces. 

Most houses have the majority of the insulation between the roof and the living quarters. 

Ideally you would put solar panels on your roof.  Either solar-electric, solar-hot water, or solar heat capture.  The heat types of panels effectively bypass the insulation during the day, and still keep the house insulated during cold times.  Or, during the summer, you don't have to warm the house.

The Urban Effect in places like Greenwich is very striking.  However, the majority of the Earth is not covered by houses.

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/09/2011 15:01:05 »
Silver roofing is cooler than a black or dark roof. Difference of around 10C inside of ceiling temperature after the repaint, measured with IR thermometer.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/09/2011 20:54:11 »
So essentally light colours are better than dark.  I havn't seen any yet but will keep looking, thanks for the responses.  ;D

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #4 on: 19/09/2011 14:22:35 »
In the less temperate regions of the world (like Russia... or Scotland! :D) I don't suppose the colour of the roof makes all that much difference to maintaining a comfortable temperature inside.

Passive solar gain can still be an issue in summer especially in countries with very cold winters, but sunny summers (Germany I believe is one).  Also poor (ie. low) thermal mass of a building (or particularly it's roof space, especially if converted for extra rooms) can be a problem too.

When I used to live in a rented 'loft' (I believe this has a slightly more salubrious meaning for our chums over the Atlantic;D).  I could have days where the sun shining in made it uncomfortably hot but just a short while after sunset the room was really quite cold.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/09/2011 16:28:58 »
In the less temperate regions of the world (like Russia... ...)...

Passive solar gain can still be an issue in summer especially in countries with very cold winters, but sunny summers (Germany I believe is one).  Also poor (ie. low) thermal mass of a building (or particularly it's roof space, especially if converted for extra rooms) can be a problem too.

It'll make a big difference in parts of Russia, too. Anywhere continental, even Siberia, tends to be hot in the summer: parts of Siberia have average daily highs in summer in the mid- to high-30s oC.

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/09/2011 18:35:30 »
paint the roof with latex every 10 yrs & the asphalt wont evaporate, whatever colouur

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #7 on: 19/09/2011 19:46:18 »
Anywhere continental, even Siberia, tends to be hot in the summer: parts of Siberia have average daily highs in summer in the mid- to high-30s oC.

Well I never! Thanks Rosy :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 19/09/2011 19:46:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums