The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do we feel bad about eating/harming other animals?  (Read 2936 times)

Offline oatman

• View Profile
Ok so maybe this is partly philosophy/ethics as well as scientific.

But from an evolutionary point of view it seems strange to me the extent of human sympathy for other animals, as when it comes down to it physically we're no different in needs to many other animals, and I cant imagine many foxes being concerned the chicken they're about to eat had a good 'free range' life, and doesnt suffer.

Its clearly been around a while, but I cant see how worrying about other species would benefit the survival of ours?

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
Why do we feel bad about eating/harming other animals?
« Reply #1 on: 20/09/2011 22:29:17 »
I can taste the difference between a raw free-range egg and a factory-raised product, probably less stress and antibiotic taste making its way into the egg. So it's in my best interest to prefer the humanely raised chicken.
It's probably just anthropomorphizing to care more for, say, a cute seal pup than a young spider.
Species are a product of the time, environment and the genetic makeup they bring. If we change the environment, including the species we cohabit with, we are at risk of being replaced by a more conformable species, although consciousness gives us a huge leverage for adaptation. 

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/09/2011 08:16:44 »

I can taste the difference between a raw free-range egg and a factory-raised product,

Can you tell us how you are able to confirm that?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/09/2011 11:02:33 »
I have done double blind testing on turkey and smoked salmon and can confirm that my entire family preferred the wild salmon over farmed and free-range turkey over factory farmed 

(family of wannabe scientists and a convenient school project)

Offline oatman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/09/2011 12:50:00 »
I think taste aside, whether your eating a 'happy egg' is a massive factor, at least from a marketing point of view.

If I was struggling for money, I would have no problem eating the animal that has not had a great life.

Is our 'misfiring' compassion towards other species just getting more extreme, because we can afford to be so fussy about what we eat?!

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22/09/2011 13:14:05 »
There was a time not so long ago that everyone ate food which was grown naturally without antibiotic assistance etc. It's not us that has changed, it's the food.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23/09/2011 04:50:13 »
As far as "happy eggs" and "sad eggs", I don't know.

What about "Happy Tomatoes" and "Sad Tomatoes"?  There are many things including produce that taste different store-bought than farm-fresh or garden-fresh.

As far as feeling about eating meat.  I suppose it varies with the person, or how one was raised.  Farm animals were always part of life where I grew up.  "City Folk" might compare a cow to their favorite dog or cat.

In Middle Eastern countries, a camel might be a wonderful companion for many years, but a wonderful meal when it gets old.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 23/09/2011 04:50:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums