The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the differences in energy levels between soft drinks and water?  (Read 1437 times)

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
Hi all. I'd like to ask: What is the difference in energy levels between the consumption of soft drinks and water? Do soft drinks provide more energy? Thanks!

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
The more sugar in your beverage, the more energy is in there.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Water only provides water.
Some (low calorie) soft drinks provide little else but taste nicer.
A lot of soft drinks contain significant amounts of sugar which provides energy.
Whether or not that's a good thing depends on the rest of your diet and on what else you do.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Besides water, your body may need some salt and electrolytes after hard exertion which water provides very little of.  Soda some.  Gatorade and fitness drinks may be better with electrolyte replacement.  I don't know how big of a deal this is as most food also has some sodium and salts, but it may be important in a few cases of extremely hard exertion.

Calories is a measurement of "energy", as well as carbohydrates and sugars.  See the markings on your soda cans or bottles.

Many "energy drinks" also contain significant amounts of caffeine.  While caffeine isn't a major source of calories, it does make you feel like you have more energy, at least while you are on the "high", with often is followed by a "crash".

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length