The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: English queen.. What for?  (Read 5141 times)

Offline RRR

• View Profile
English queen.. What for?
« on: 28/04/2006 09:23:21 »
Some questions for citizens of The United Kingdom, Australia and Canada..

1) English citizens have not a right to elect the England's ruler by voting.. English kings (queens) receive the office without any elections, without any democracy and without any voting by a people...
Queen consumes a money of english tax-payers but the english tax-payers have not rights to elect (or to dismiss) the official person by voting.

In Australia and Canada a country's head is a foreigner.. A humour that the foreigner does not live in Australia and Canada. The foreigner is english queen.
A humour that the foreigner consumes a money of australian and canadian tax-payers but the foreigner does not work for Canada and Australia.

What is "a use" from the non-democratic system for the UK, Australia and Canada?  
Dear citizens of Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom!
Did you have any referendums to have a possibility, a right to choose between a republic and a monarchy?
Do you need the english queen or any other useless kings?
 What for?
===================================
« Last Edit: 28/04/2006 18:42:36 by neilep »

Offline Laith

• View Profile
Re: English queen.. What for?
« Reply #1 on: 28/04/2006 09:56:36 »
we can talk politics here?

anyway (I dont know enough about the queen to talk about this) i never new that we pay taxes for queen elizabeth in canada, that's interesting ill look it up, but i know that the queen can not interfere with canadian policies, or at least thats how they say it is.
as for other kings, im originally jordanian and honestly i like the royal family there in my opinion the country would be in real trouble if they were overthrawn or something (god forbid)

Laith
« Last Edit: 28/04/2006 17:51:20 by Laith »

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/04/2006 11:13:51 »
There are issues around whether we want/need the royal family, but RRR's post somewhat oversimplifies the question.
For one thing, whilst the Queen is the nominal head of state, and signs off the legislation she knows very well that if she actually tried to mess about with what her government are doing she'd be out of a job faster than you can say "republican".
Equally, whilst the royals are paid for largely from the public purse, it should be borne in mind that, from the point of view of the English, they are actually very good for the tourist industry. Large numbers of good republican French, American and other tourists are nontheless fascinated by visiting palaces and looking at the beefeaters in their silly hats. I don't know what the numbers are, but I suspect that the existence of the monarchy is indirectly contributing an un-quantifiable but significant amount to the economy as a whole.

My main reason for opposing an end to the monarchy is that the current political establishment has made such a hash of reforming the house of lords that any attempt to remove the Queen strikes me as only too likely to result in a total legislative morass.

What the arguments are for and against the Canadians and Australians keeping the british monarch as head of state I don't really know. But I'd be astonished if they pay for more than the cost of their visits to those countries. Again, the actual ruling is done by elected reprisentatives, and I guess people take an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/04/2006 11:14:39 »
Oops... just realised this is in "General Science". I reckon it should be in the chat section. Maybe one of the mods could move it?

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/04/2006 12:08:27 »

Tourist attraction of course

;)

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #5 on: 28/04/2006 14:13:56 »
From what I understand, especially in Canada, the Queen really has no power. Our Governor General is the rep for the English Monarch, so she pretty much just gives the laws and things to be passed and the Queen signs them, no problems. If we pass it here the Queen won't over rule it...

-Meg

another_someone

« Reply #6 on: 28/04/2006 17:13:02 »
Actually, Parliament and the Prime Minister have a vested interest in retaining the monarchy.  Although Parliament, with the heavy hand of the Prime Minister (particularly is there is a large majority in Parliament) pass the bills that are enacted into law, but they actually rule in the name of the monarch, which gives them a good deal of privilege (Crown privilege, and Crown immunity) that they would have to find another way of obtaining if the monarch was removed.

George

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28/04/2006 18:48:21 »
I think the queen is great. I also think Charlie Boy is great too !...if a little quirky but then that kind of comes with the blue blood !! Queenie does pay income tax now doesn't she ?

Queenie has little power if any. She's a great ambassador, and yes, as Hadrian has said, they are a wonderful tourist attraction. Generally high on the list of our american chums who luff all this English/British pomp and circumstance

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

another_someone

« Reply #8 on: 28/04/2006 19:52:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

I think the queen is great. I also think Charlie Boy is great too !...if a little quirky but then that kind of comes with the blue blood !! Queenie does pay income tax now doesn't she ?

They are hard working, but their lifestyle is out of step with current norms.  I am not talking about their wealth there are plenty who are wealthier; I am talking about the total lack of privacy in their life, a lifestyle that has pretty much destroyed two royal marriages.

quote:

Queenie has little power if any.

Agreed the problem tends to be what is done in her name rather than what she does.

I am not a republican, but like all institutions, the monarchy has to remain up-to-date.  Bringing the same standards of privacy that ordinary citizens might expect in their lives into the life of the monarch and her family might be a start.  Secondly, some of the Crown privilege that the Government hides behind could be dismantled.

George

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28/04/2006 20:29:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

quote:
Originally posted by neilep

They are hard working, but their lifestyle is out of step with current norms.  I am not talking about their wealth there are plenty who are wealthier; I am talking about the total lack of privacy in their life, a lifestyle that has pretty much destroyed two royal marriages.

quote:

Queenie has little power if any.

Agreed the problem tends to be what is done in her name rather than what she does.

I am not a republican, but like all institutions, the monarchy has to remain up-to-date.  Bringing the same standards of privacy that ordinary citizens might expect in their lives into the life of the monarch and her family might be a start.  Secondly, some of the Crown privilege that the Government hides behind could be dismantled.

George

Agreed George,

I suspect when Charlie Boy inherits the crown he may well bring a few things up to date, I'm  not particularly a royalist or a monarchist, but I'm not anti either.. I certainly think their lifestyle is as alien to us, as ours is to a cabbage !!:D...besides, I think their lifestyle is planned meticulously for them. I do not envy their tasks or lifeystyle.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline time-cop

• Making tomorrow safe today .
    • View Profile
    • malta-site.com
« Reply #10 on: 30/04/2006 00:45:42 »
a couple of hundred years ago,( and this is for the benefit of those that dont know ) a bloke named oliver cromwell got a bit fed up with our king,so they locked him up,he wouldnt shut his big mouth about being a god or something,so good old ollie had it closed for him,a chap with a large axe deftly removed the offending head,this gave mr cromwell the title of "lord protector of england" for about twenty years,this is probably the only time in english history when beer wasnt taxed,[}:)]

http://www.armybarmy.org

another_someone

« Reply #11 on: 30/04/2006 02:16:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by time-cop

a couple of hundred years ago,( and this is for the benefit of those that dont know ) a bloke named oliver cromwell got a bit fed up with our king,so they locked him up,he wouldnt shut his big mouth about being a god or something,so good old ollie had it closed for him,a chap with a large axe deftly removed the offending head,this gave mr cromwell the title of "lord protector of england" for about twenty years,this is probably the only time in english history when beer wasnt taxed,[}:)]

http://www.armybarmy.org

It was closer to 400 than 200 years ago.

You could ask the Irish what they thought of Cromwell (or, at least the Catholic Irish).

On the positive side, he did allow Jews back into England (believing it would better facilitate the second coming of Christ).

By the time dear Oliver died, the people were more than happy to welcome a King back on the throne (albeit, with significantly reduced powers)  - and with it, a renewed appetite for wine women and song (Cromwell believing that any pleasures in life were a sin).

It may have been twenty years without a King, but a choice between a King and a Dictator, the British people decided they preferred a King.

George
« Last Edit: 30/04/2006 02:18:03 by another_someone »

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30/04/2006 21:25:50 »
The UK monarchy is "pomp without power"

Get rid of the queen and elect a president as head of state.

Who wants a president Blair or a president Thatcher?

terrifying isn't it?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire"

Offline RE.Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12/02/2013 05:37:44 »
Some questions for citizens of The United Kingdom, Australia and Canada..

1) English citizens have not a right to elect the England's ruler by voting.. English kings (queens) receive the office without any elections, without any democracy and without any voting by a people...
Queen consumes a money of english tax-payers but the english tax-payers have not rights to elect (or to dismiss) the official person by voting.

In Australia and Canada a country's head is a foreigner.. A humour that the foreigner does not live in Australia and Canada. The foreigner is english queen.
A humour that the foreigner consumes a money of australian and canadian tax-payers but the foreigner does not work for Canada and Australia.

What is "a use" from the non-democratic system for the UK, Australia and Canada? 
Dear citizens of Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom!
Did you have any referendums to have a possibility, a right to choose between a republic and a monarchy?
Do you need the english queen or any other useless kings?
 What for?
===================================
I have to say RRR every one of your observations is BS.

For a start the Queen or King is not the ruler of England [you forgot to mention Scotland,Northern Ireland and Wales'which is a principality] and has not been so since the reformation. The Queen is officially the Head of State  for the UK and the Commonwealth and she has no powers to either mandate or create laws. Her roles are strictly limited and in essence purely ceremonial.
The stock of Canada and Australia are largely of British extraction and it is their choice to keep the Queen as head of state for they can freely dismiss her if they wish by referendum as can the people of the UK!!!.
You talk about monarchies as having no use but you are very wrong.Our Princes are fighting for and serving the people our country. I would rather have my Monarchy and the stability it brings to society than I would for a president who spent all of his time warmongering who through millions of dollar's had "bought" his seat in the White House, and when he steps down then buy's his son's seat in the White House. Some frigging democracy, your welcome to it !   

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12/02/2013 17:57:06 »
Let's not start an argument from a thread that has been dead for many years. 

Thanks
imatfaal / moderator

Offline RE.Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12/02/2013 18:50:12 »
Let's not start an argument from a thread that has been dead for many years. 

Thanks
imatfaal / moderator
  I was unaware that responding to or giving ones opinion on an old post was forbidden. My sincerest apologies. What is the exact cut-off point for responding? Perhaps it might be a good idea to remove posts that you deem no longer active.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15 on: 12/02/2013 18:50:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums