The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it possible to always predict a chemical equation?  (Read 2019 times)

Johann Mahne

For example if h2so4 is diluted in water, is it possible to predict the complete equation from the periodic table without having any prior knowledge of the reaction?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is it possible to always predict a chemical equation?
« Reply #1 on: 22/09/2011 12:53:52 »
For example if h2so4 is diluted in water, is it possible to predict the complete equation from the periodic table without having any prior knowledge of the reaction?
What do you think people go to school or university for?   :)

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/09/2011 20:16:33 »
What do you think people go to school or university for?   :)

Personally, I  went so I could spend 4 years having a good time. I also learned some chemistry.

It is possible, in principle, to calculate the behaviour of chemicals but it's difficult. (which is just as well for chemists like me, or I'd be out of a job).

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/09/2011 03:38:43 »
If I only knew where I put that handy note-card I was allowed to make for O-Chem!!!!

In the example above (aqueous H2SO4), Acids & Bases, or Proton Donors and Acceptors make up a unique class of chemicals.  So, really if you understand the molecular structure, you should be able to predict the equation. 

Additional information such as bond strengths should help tell one whether a reaction is endothermic or exothermic, or what would be required to force either a forward or back reaction.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/09/2011 11:28:27 »
Clifford,
Labelling H2SO4 as an acid is begging the question.
If you didn't know it was sulphuric acid, would you be able to tell how it would react?
The answer is yes, in principle, to a fair approximation if you give me a lot of time and a fast computer.

On the other hand, given the properties of sulphuric acid you might be able to make a good guess at the properties of H2SeO4 and "H2TeO4" with the help of the periodic table and some understanding of chemistry.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23/09/2011 16:42:28 »
True,

One quickly recognizes certain chemicals.  Then, as you mentioned, columns of elements on the periodic table will have similar reactivities.

Now, if you asked me whether Sulfur Trioxide (SO3) is an acid, then the answer might be a little more complicated, but one might note some similarities between Sulfur Trioxide (SO3) and Carbon Dioxide (CO2)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 23/09/2011 16:42:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums