The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does a cat wag its tail?  (Read 5405 times)

Daria

Why does a cat wag its tail?
« on: 26/09/2011 10:30:02 »
Korochkina Daria  asked the Naked Scientists:

Why does a cat wag its tail? Is it because the cat is angry or perhaps it can't decide how to react?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 26/09/2011 10:30:02 by _system »

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
« Reply #1 on: 27/09/2011 07:18:18 »
In my experience, a cats tail wags in different ways depending on its mood. I'm thinking that it is a form of body language that other cats can recognize. Indeed, wagging can signify aggression, but it can also be due to curiosity or contentment. I've noticed that aggressive tail wagging is usually the most pronounced version.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/09/2011 10:28:54 »
I agree with supercryptid. In my experience tail wagging (especially when you're petting the cat) can indicate an increase in irritation....when the tail becomes very waggy.....prepare for a scratch or just ease off  !  Other times your cat may great ewe with a raised tail and when alone and just chillaxing...they may wag their tails for pure fun and joy !.....which is nice !  :D

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #3 on: 06/10/2011 23:42:26 »
Agree with both the above. In my experience, a raised non-wagging tail means the cat is pleased to see you and/or wants some love and attention.

A tail which wags in a way which might be described as 'flicking' (with a slight hestiation at the extreme of swish) indicates irritation (an excess of "love and attention" - expect an imminent scratch, or bite on the wrist if you don't stop sharpish) or impatience eg when sitting on kitchen floor waiting to be fed (tail will be 'flicked' back and forth across the floor).

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #4 on: 07/10/2011 11:26:50 »
Our neighbour's cats (which seem to spend far too much time in our house) seem to wag and swish their tails' almost all the time regardless of the situation. But then one of them is a right dim wit. I can honestly say, I have never seen any other animal which has such a blank look. Its a case of 'the lights are on, but nobody's home.' This is a cat with all the grace and agility of an elephant up a tree.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08/10/2011 10:17:40 »
Our neighbour's cats (which seem to spend far too much time in our house) seem to wag and swish their tails' almost all the time regardless of the situation. But then one of them is a right dim wit. I can honestly say, I have never seen any other animal which has such a blank look. Its a case of 'the lights are on, but nobody's home.' This is a cat with all the grace and agility of an elephant up a tree.

Please inspect that cat under a magnifying glass...it may be an elephant up a tree masquerading as a cat !....It happens ewe know !

Elephants will often try this......something about them really liking being petted and sitting on laps !

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #6 on: 09/10/2011 11:58:19 »
I hadn't thought of that Sheepy, perhaps it could explain why this cat has a tail at both ends!

Online yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18/10/2011 21:31:30 »
Cat's use their body to speak I think. In a way we do too, all animals do and there the tail can be very expressive. Ever seen a human blink at you? Sending you this message that they are being friendly, try it on a cat. It will work.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 18/10/2011 21:31:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums